· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default please help fish dying!

0 Not allowed!
    hi guys haven't been on in a while but really in a panic with no where to turn my fish are dying off in the past ten days i've lost an angel a molly and short nose elephant fish! and tonight my blue acara is hanging at the top! they seem to hang at top for a week or so then just sink to bottom dead no other symptoms at all!
    my ammonia, nitrate and nitrate are all 0
    i do 10% weekly water change without fail i treat the water i replace with tap safe, as it has a high chlorine content, this is the only treatment in my tank
    i have a 1000/lph external filter
    temp is 26
    its planted
    trigon 350 l
    internal filter for flow and extra filteration
    air stone on 12 hrs a day
    i feed tetra crisp, bloodworms odd dried tubifex cube, brine shrimp.
    ph is high at 8 but it comes out of my tap at that
    i have rummys with bright red faces and all fish are eating fine
    other fish are mollies platies one angel 2 corys 6 glass cat fish, Columbia red tetras, upside down catfish i have added new fish in the past month without quarantine but dont add pet shop water
    any help please as i will be fair pissed if i lose my acara

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    First off - do a 90% water change.

Weekly 10% water changes are way too small - weekly water changes should be no less than 30% and 50% is better (of course, this depends on tank size; very large tanks don't need 50%.) Run air stone 24/7.

By the way, live worms, I feel, is asking for illness issues. I just don't trust those things - they are full of bacteria and parasites. Whether these harm the fish depends on a number of issues but I just can't justify the danger.

When did you last vacuum the substrate?

Something does not sound right - your nitrate is 0 and you have a well stocked aquarium with only 10% water changes per week? That does not sound possible unless you have an algae scrubber or nitrate removal filter. Are you certain the test kit is operating properly? Can you check it against a standard? or get another kit? Unless it is very heavily planted (is it?) and the plants are then suffering for nitrates, that number is very low.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps you could get your test results verified by a LFS near you?

The 0 nitrate reading does seam a little odd to me.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    How large is your tank and how long have those fish been in there?

Generally, when someone says their parameter readings are all 0, it indicates an uncycled tank - most tanks have SOME nitrates (20ppm or less)

Agree with Cermet that the airstone should be on all the time - fish always need oxygen! Also agree that 10% water changes are inadequate - most of us do about 50% weekly - even more often if you are losing fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok guys good spot there as checked water again and its 10ppm nitrate must have done something wrong not sure, but that still wouldn't explain whats going on? all the fish that died are new fish except the balloon molly who actuallynever looked right to be honest