· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Krib fry video and question

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. So my krib fry seem to be doing really well. They hatched out about a week ago and I shot this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...329B10B893.mp4

And as of some time last night / this morning they are free swimming and lookin pretty good. They got their first meal of cyclops today while I shot this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...03126661E8E.mp

I've got a couple questions tho.

1: I've read a couple places that you shouldn't feed fry exclusively with cyclops, but I can't find anything that explains why. Supplementation seems to be fine, but cyclops is such a high quality food I just can't figure out what the downfall of using it too much would be. I went ahead and used it for their first post-egg meal because I was in a rush out the door and couldn't find their "hikari first bites", but they will get that tonight when I get home.

2: I can't decide whether or not I should remove the dither fish in their tank now that they are free swimmers. We are using Cochus blue tetras as dithers, and without them not only do the adult kribs get so nervous that they never come out, but they also go domestic violence on each other when they spend too long in the tank alone together. I don't know if that will have stopped now that they have fry, or if they will direct that aggression to the fry, or what. So far the dad seems to be doing a great job at fending off the Cochus attempts at having fish sticks for lunch, but I don't know if it's stressing him out or good for him to have an outlet for his paternal aggression.

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, encouragement, insults, hate mail, etc.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    leave the parents be. let them do what nature intended and look after the fry and leave the dithers in so they have something to focus on and chase off away from the fry. it keeps them active and in protective mode as they would in their natural environment.

i always fed mine crushed up flakes from first born and they always did just fine on it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, thank you for the advice. Yeah we went ahead and left them in there as it's been a couple days now. I would rather leave them instead of taking them out if it was going to be the wrong move. Everybody seems to be doing fine in there so far unless we accidentally scare them with the light or feeding time, in which case the female gets pretty aggressive at the male, but it stops after a couple seconds.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org