· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Fresh Thread

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

Default Fresh Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Ok well the last thread I made sort of went downhill with all the different types of fish we had discussed. So lets start a fresh start. This thread is strictly about oscars..Well i plan on keeping an oscar in my 55 gallon and if someday i get the money/room ill get a 75. This thread is only going to be about caring for an oscar, no tank size and no suggestions (which i do thank you for in the other thread) of other fish to keep. Now lets get this thread going. Ok so for the filtration, im going to get 2 penguin 350's, many people have told me that the 2 penguin 350's will be more than enough for the oscar. Now, when I do get the oscar, should I buy some giant danios to go in with him as the dither fish? I dont want him to be sad especially going in a 55 gallon by himself. My 2nd question is, what type of PH do oscars like? How many hikari gold pellets should i feed him? (being he is only going to be 1.75" big) How much should i feed him after he gets a little bigger?? And if someone could just give a summary based on their experience of owning an oscar please, i'd really like to hear about them so I can learn as well. Thank you, and hopefully New comers can look at this thread to get a good idea on what they need to know/do if they decide to own an oscar.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I find it impossible to discus Oscars without talking about tank sizes and filtration since these two things are the most two important.

If you are just looking for compatibility issues, check the compatibly stckie thread in red.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok???? I've already stated the tank size and what I was going to use for filtration. What i mean by not discussing tank sizes is, most people will say "no oscars can go in a 55" or 75 gallon is a minimum for 1" or something relevant. And no, im not just looking for compatibility, im looking for basic oscar keeping and experiences people have had with them.
    Last edited by AquaKid329; 09-25-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I do not endorse the Oscar in a 55 idea, no matter what the filtration, but, no dither fish either. They will be expensive snacks, and will just add to the already too high of a bioload.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Come on, you know deep down inside you were hungry. - Drumachine09   *Kicks* :P - Drumachine09   you need a present - Lady Hobbs   Glad The Coconut Turned Out Great For You! :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - the P   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - the P   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - the P   

0 Not allowed!
    Well Oscars like bigger gravel since they move the gravel around alot and they could swallow the smaller gravel. You can try a few plastic plants but they''ll tear them ALOT. I suggest a couple of large rock caves and other rock structures. For feeding i think its everything the fish can eat in 2 minutes. I would feed one or 2 times a day. I agree with Drumachine, any dither fish will eventually be eaten.
    If you dont't want your oscar to be bored or lonely ive heard of people puting ping pong balls for them to move around. Or you can simply sit next to him or just him being able to see you will make him happy. So maybe just watch tv or whatever.

Goodluck!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by the P
    Well Oscars like bigger gravel since they move the gravel around alot and they could swallow the smaller gravel. You can try a few plastic plants but they''ll tear them ALOT. I suggest a couple of large rock caves and other rock structures. For feeding i think its everything the fish can eat in 2 minutes. I would feed one or 2 times a day. I agree with Drumachine, any dither fish will eventually be eaten.
    If you dont't want your oscar to be bored or lonely ive heard of people puting ping pong balls for them to move around. Or you can simply sit next to him or just him being able to see you will make him happy. So maybe just watch tv or whatever.

Goodluck!
    Thank you for the positive input. I was going to tie a bobber on a rock inside the tank so he can play with it, but if not where could i find a ping pong ball?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    I do not endorse the Oscar in a 55 idea, no matter what the filtration, but, no dither fish either. They will be expensive snacks, and will just add to the already too high of a bioload.
    This is not what this thread is about, I asked earlier nicely to please keep the tank size out of this. so please keep the tank size junk out of the thread I understand 75 gallon is best for the oscar but i dont have the space for it. 55 gallon is fine for 1 and thats the end of it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaKid329
    This is not what this thread is about, I asked earlier nicely to please keep the tank size out of this. so please keep the tank size junk out of the thread I understand 75 gallon is best for the oscar but i dont have the space for it. 55 gallon is fine for 1 and thats the end of it.
    This is a very good example for how a member can turn people off to responding to posts and getting added to people's "ignore" list. You state the thread is going to be about caring for oscars yet want ..."no tank size and no suggestions...of other fish to keep."

The "tank size junk" is not junk at all. The very statement is insulting. You go on to state that the 75 is best yet you're just going to go with a 55.

You have been given extensive guidance and you have listened to none of it. The last thread "went downhill" because of this.

Check Google or use the search function here to research Oscars.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.