· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Unhappy Trouble with bristlenose

0 Not allowed!
    We recently set up a 29 gal tank with some tetras and a peacock eel. It is a planted tank or at least aspires to be. We bought a bristnose to help with algae that was growing everywhere over night. He did an amazing job and cleaned the entire tank in a couple of days - he's a baby and was only an inch long when we brought him home.
    Well now he's eaten all of the chlorophyll off of the four sword something or other adult plants in the tank. I had been putting romaine lettuce weighed down by some drift wood, but he continues to eat both the lettuce and the plants. Please help - are bristlenoses not compatible with aquatic plants? I did not expect him to devour them. Intact I notice new Alger patches on the glass because he is too busy getting every last green spot on the plants. Can I not have both?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well Pleco's are not relatively good algae eaters. But the Bristlenose will eat some when it is young but when he gets older he will stop. I mean some will not even touch algae. Secondly is your tank cycled. And that is weird he is eating your plants. Make sure he is well fed feed him vegetables and algae wafers. Maybe he will stop. Also add some driftwood. Good luck with the plants. It is odd that a BN would eat plants, I have never heard of it. Are your plants dying? The only reason I say that is, he might eat the dead decaying plant matter.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My cycled tank has driftwood and vegetables. The plants were super healthy. Everything I read said bristlenoses were great for controlling algae in a small tank :(. I guess I should get rid of him if he's not going to keep up with the algae consumption and is eating my once beautiful healthy plants...

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    BN are good fish but not really algae eaters. Give him Zucchini and I bet he calms down peas (cooked/broken) will help, too. Alage wafers will also help.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-14-2012 at 10:58 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First of is it a bristle nose? There are hundreds of species of sucker mouth catfish. second is it wild caught or captive bred?
    Wild caught catfish are often starving when they arrive in the dealers tanks, the best way to tell if its starving is sunken eye sockets and overall thin apearence.
    Do look/treat for parasites, maybe that's whats causing the fish to eat your plants its simply not getting the algae/food it needs because its got parasites.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    As others have said, give him something besides what he can find in the tank for himself to eat. Seeing as he is new, he's prolly just starving - how fast he cleaned up your tank is a sign of this, I think. He's run out of algae and must find something else to eat if you are not feeding him.
    He's a growing wee fish so give him some wood to chew on and a nice piece of zucchini every night or every other night, and he should leave your plants alone.