· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Tiger Barbs Stopped schooling?

0 Not allowed!
    Observing some odd behavior. . . but everything is still very new to me so let me know if this is normal.

55 gal tank, 48x21x13. I started off with 6 barbs, 6 tetras, and 2 corydoras.

The barbs schooled pretty closely together but were very aggressive and nippy at the cories. So I added 4 more and within 24 hours all was pretty peaceful in the tank.

However, when i came downstairs after the over night in the tank, the barbs had stopped schooling. Everything seems healthy and happy, but they were spread out all over the tank. I have witness a few nippy fights among themselves (I assume figuring out the leader of the pack). They still school together some when spooked by me walking by, but most of the day they continue to spread out all over the tank?

Any thoughts?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Schooling fish only school when stressed out. Them spreading out is a good sign.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - my neons spread out all over the tank all the time - I rarely see them as a group - they only tend to huddle together at night when the lights are out.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger Barbs are odd, kind of like pit bulls in their disposition. They were the second fish I ever kept. My Mom bought a pair of them (1970 the man at sprouse and ritz suggested that all fish be bought in prs LOL) and two Bronze Cories and I never had a problem, belive it or not with them, even after adding 4 angelfish.

Years later when tried a school of six they chased and harrased everybody in the tank Needless to say I gave them away and have never kept them again.

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger Barbs are nice kept in a tank to themselves as they tend to be fin nippers and are aggressive. The larger the school, the better they are. Not sure how the tetra's will fair with them. I'd rather see Tiger Barbs, Albino Barbs, Green Barbs and Rosie Barbs together rather than Tigers and tetra's.

You might consider making this a specie only tank.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I do like your video.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Hobbsy. There is a chance that you may never have any trouble between the Barbs and the Tetras, but concidering the size that the Tigers can grow to, and their temperament, keeping smaller more peaceful Tetras with them can sometimes be not such a good idea. Larger Tetras with a similar temperament, such as Buenos Aires would be the ideal Tetra to attempt to have in with Tigers.

If a Barb tank, like Hobbsy has suggested, isn't what you would like to do, then I would increase the school of Black Neons to at least 12, and because the Corys have been picked on, I would increase their number to at least 6. Corys are also a schooling species.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had the same thing happen in mine. Perfectly normal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa View Post
    I agree with Hobbsy. There is a chance that you may never have any trouble between the Barbs and the Tetras, but concidering the size that the Tigers can grow to, and their temperament, keeping smaller more peaceful Tetras with them can sometimes be not such a good idea. Larger Tetras with a similar temperament, such as Buenos Aires would be the ideal Tetra to attempt to have in with Tigers.
    That has been mentioned quite a few times before.

@ddavis: Quite normal behaviour