· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Background color

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

So I have a small problem, my green severum is attacking my golden sev. I am going to move the green to my 29gal with my tiger barbs. My question for you all is what is a good background color for a black fish. Right now the background is painted black and I am thinking should scrape it off and go with a brighter color. Any suggestions on color? I want to keep it natural looking not crazy colors.

thanks
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer the black myself.

Why don't you add the Tiger Barbs to the 55, adding to the school? Perhaps the severums will calm down with dither fish around them. A 29 is too small for a severum. Do you think the severum are male and female and perhaps spawning?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about green? You could go for a natural leaf shed thats pale enough to help show a black fish off but not too bright to make it look unnatural.

You could also try those fake rock walls that attach to the back of the tank in a grey or beige as your fish would look great against those too.

If you like a natural look you can buy fake grass/plants in squares which could look quite nice mounted on the back of your tank and they're quite briht so he'd stand out well against those.

0 Not allowed!
    You could do blue, but I tend to agree that a black background can make anything pop more. You'll like the contrast of the black fish on any plants you might plant (real or fake) in the background, too... and the black bg will help make those plants pop more, too.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I prefer the black myself.

Why don't you add the Tiger Barbs to the 55, adding to the school? Perhaps the severums will calm down with dither fish around them. A 29 is too small for a severum. Do you think the severum are male and female and perhaps spawning?
    Right now the barbs are in my 55 and I only have three because I was given a yoyo loach not knowing how destructive they are. I am planning to up thier numbers in the future.

I thought it was due to spawing but I don't think that is the case. I chalked it up to spawning but after 2 weeks and my golden having little left for fins I need to do something. I don't see how a 29gal is too small for a single sev, from the research I have done 30 gallon is minimum for one.

As with many of you I prefer black for a background as well but with this particular fish you tend to loose him in any dark area in the tank
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by teach
    I don't see how a 29gal is too small for a single sev, from the research I have done 30 gallon is minimum for one.
    You're going to want more room for your Severum to swim. They can get up to 8-10". I would say a 4' long tank, like a 40gal long/55gal is minimum.

Add some plants/rocks/driftwood to the tank, so that the Severums can get some breathing room from each other and can have timeouts. It's possible that they can constantly see each other and see the entire tank as their territory.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.