· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default determing bumblebee cichlid sex

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! How do you sex bumblebee cichlids? Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All I know is that most can only be truly distinguished by venting, but some like the Johannii for instance are different color. As for bumblebee cichlids I think venting them would be the only way because the sexes are almost identical.
    And it's the ocean flowing in our veins
    Oh..That it's the salt that's in our tears
    Oh..Cause we could have come so very far
    Oh..In at least as many years
    Take the highway through the Great Divide - T.A. and T.M.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wedge
    All I know is that most can only be truly distinguished by venting, but some like the Johannii for instance are different color. As for bumblebee cichlids I think venting them would be the only way because the sexes are almost identical.
    what is venting?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here ya go bro...I hope this link helps. Honestly, I have never vented any fish. I know the vent is much larger than the anus in the female where the male is almost the same size...but this is very general. They must be approaching maturity in order to tell.
    http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/article_venting.htm
    Last edited by The Wedge; 05-17-2008 at 05:38 AM.
    And it's the ocean flowing in our veins
    Oh..That it's the salt that's in our tears
    Oh..Cause we could have come so very far
    Oh..In at least as many years
    Take the highway through the Great Divide - T.A. and T.M.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey woggies! good news lol you dont have to vent! bumble bees are dimorphic which means the males are different colors than the females! just go to this page and use the drop box under the photo to look at pictures of each sex http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...ies.php?id=845

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Males are always really dark... they can go almost all gray with black bars.... to almost etirely black. However, I still had yellow on all of my bumbles. But, as juvis, they are simply darker than the females because their black bars almost combine into eachother. Females have a more pronounced yellow body with verticle bars.

You'll know you have a female and male in a tank.... they are quite different. Not too mention the male will grow about an inch longer after the first couple of months.
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

7. Default New member

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone: I just joined this forum. I am running three tanks. My 75 gallon tank has two Tiger Oscars, one Red Oscar, one Albino Oscar, three Bumblebee's all female, one Blue something, one Jack Dempsey, one Convict that is a brat, and five Algae Eaters. This tank has been running since late Feb of this year. My 40 gallon tank has several goldfish in it, including three Black Moors, a Calico, a Red Cap, and a few others. My 30 gallon tank has lots and lots of small fish of assorted types, including Mollies, four Angel Fish, and around 24 fish alltogether. Everything is OK. I am trying to find out what a male Bumblee Bee fish looks like. I believe it is basically brown to black. Yes, No??? I am 67 years old, a Christian for 38 years, attend my Church every Sunday, am a true car nut, and also ride a Harley Road King. By the way, it is a 2003 100 Ann. model that is for sale for $12K.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryGodsFriend7
    Hello everyone: I just joined this forum. I am running three tanks. My 75 gallon tank has two Tiger Oscars, one Red Oscar, one Albino Oscar, three Bumblebee's all female, one Blue something, one Jack Dempsey, one Convict that is a brat, and five Algae Eaters. This tank has been running since late Feb of this year. My 40 gallon tank has several goldfish in it, including three Black Moors, a Calico, a Red Cap, and a few others. My 30 gallon tank has lots and lots of small fish of assorted types, including Mollies, four Angel Fish, and around 24 fish alltogether. Everything is OK. I am trying to find out what a male Bumblee Bee fish looks like. I believe it is basically brown to black. Yes, No??? I am 67 years old, a Christian for 38 years, attend my Church every Sunday, am a true car nut, and also ride a Harley Road King. By the way, it is a 2003 100 Ann. model that is for sale for $12K.

Hi there Larry,

i know everything has been running OK for you for a while but i would research some more into your fish . As all of your tanks sound way overstocked . It is likely to have trouble and or sick fish/dead esp in the 75 gallon with 4 oscars and african cichlids convict ,JD& 5 algae eater i sure hope those aren't commons

as for your main question a male bumblebee fish will have black in its body to sometimes almost appearing all black i guess it could look brown as well depending on their mood

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As far as sexing the bumble bee by the photo is that these fish change coloration with mood changes. You can look in the tank and they are more brite yellow and later they will look at them and they are real dark with a larger amount of blue. so I'm still not sure what I have. Mine are both 3-4 inches.

0 Not allowed!
    Pam, Welcome to the forum.

You may want to check the dates of the threads you are replying to as the previous post here is over 2 years old and the OP hasn't been onsite for over four years.... Just a heads up :-P
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.