· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trumpet Snails

Default Trumpet Snails

0 Not allowed!
    I saw some of these at the pet store today, and I decided I liked them I'm afraid to get one though if they are the kind that breed like crazy.

Any advice on these??? Good? Bad? Anything at all.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just had to strip a tank down and redo the entire tank because the trumpet snails got out of hand.

Personally I wouldn't get them.

I have heard that if you can keep the population low they are good scavengers. But I have no idea how to control them, mine got out of control very quickly!!
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally i love them... If the substrate is clean they wont be a problem.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    try assassin snails. nicer looking and can make a small profit on any off spring or trade them for store credit etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Really? I haven't seen Assassin Snails any where. Are they expensive? If they would get me store credit I feel they may be. I just don't want anything that is going to take over my tank. I would like 1 or two snails, that's it. Of course I have heard that if I get only 1 Assassin Snail it can't reproduce alone like the others. Is that true?
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    I personally love Malaysian Trumpet Snails and I have them in all of my tanks.

They are great cleaners, they dont eat your plants if you have any, they keep your gravel stirred up.

As long as you keep a fairly clean aquarium they wont breed like crazy.

If you start seeing too many you can always just crush them on the glass and the fish will eat them.

If they really get out of control you can buy some Assassin Snails or some Loaches to get rid of some of them.

I do keep my tanks very clean so Ive never had a problem with over population but I have read some stories where people have so..........

0 Not allowed!
    I hate them with a passion just as much as I hate pond snails. My tanks are planted or I would suck them all up with a siphon and flush them down the toilet. Assassins kill them so assassins are my friend!

0 Not allowed!
    Yikes. I don't want to have to kill anything. I'd feel bad even if I didn't want them. So one assassin snail then?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I actually just got 2 dozen of these little guys a couple days ago. I love them so far. I did a lot of research about them and decided it was the best way for my sand to stay stirred. So far I am enjoying them.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also heard they were great for sand. I am setting up a 55 gal with CaribSea black sand, 40 lbs with good bacteria water included and 20 lb. plain sand. I'm putting trumpet snails in there for their sand-mixing qualities.

I also am moving my oranda goldfish from a 20 long to a 40 breeder when I've been able to move the fish from my 30 gal. tank to the 55 gal. The 40 breeder will have very pale tan sand in it and I plan to put some trumpet snails in that tank too.

One thing about them, they don't leave eggs everywhere. I've had a great piece of driftwood ruined by those eggs and have not been able to get them off it in order to use it again. It's awful-looking! Any suggestions?