· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Missing top lip?

0 Not allowed!
    I just fed my fish and noticed on of my Harleys wasn't eating. It looks like his top lip is gone. What could it be?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's hard to tell from the pics but this is the best I could get. Its bottom lip is very white too. He's just swimming in place.

Last edited by tate8; 10-10-2012 at 12:38 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    anyone?????

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now all of the other fish are picking on him. Even the Cardinal tetras. Is there a way to treat this or should I put him down?

Anybody?

He is swimming fine but won't eat. And he is obviously is in distress.

0 Not allowed!
    Put him down. He has mouth rot and his mouth will not grow back.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you..............

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I gave him an ice bath. It has to be better than starving to death.

I have had 4 out of 16 Harleys die over the course of a month. My Cardinal Tetras, Peppered Corydoras and Endlers have been doing great. What is up with the Harleys? I check my parameters everyday and even though I have had a slight trace of ammonia (less than .12 ppm) all of my other fish have been thriving. Even the Corys are looking great. Could it just be the Harley stock at my lfs?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I Prob missed another post somewhere that you already talked about it, and I'll go look around after this, but for the sake of conformity I'll ask here as well:

Why are you having issues with ammonia spikes? Did something happen lately that you have been able to trace the readings to? I'm sure you know ammonia shouldnt just show up in a cycled tank. Sometimes it can be introduced by something but a healthy bacterial colony will clear it before you ever even notice it. So if it has been constant something else is goin on.

Ammonia is like acid to fish. Or even like, well ammonia to us. It burns. It's really nasty stuff. Not only that but if something else is causing micro organisms to die off in your tank that will cause the ammonia spike, but the cause is even more of a concern.

I'm glad the rest of your fish are doing ok, and I hope it stays that way. It's possible maybe the batch of Harley's you have is just weak for some reason, but I would try and find out what it is they are succumbing to even if the other fish are ok, because you don't want some kind of problem lurking in your tank just waiting for a differen species to get just weak enough to take out.

What is your filtration?
    Tank size?
    Substrate?
    Cleaning protocol?
    Feeding schedule?

Or is the ammonia something you already diagnosed that I just never read about?

Sorry about your Harley. That always sucks to have to put someone down. I had to just last night because a neon got stuck to the filter intake. It's no fun. Poor guy lived through it but developed a massive bruise on that side, so I'm sure he was injured internally and I didn't want him to suffer for a day or two just to die anyway.

How did the other Harley's die?
    Last edited by Nephalem; 10-10-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephalem
    I Prob missed another post somewhere that you already talked about it, and I'll go look around after this, but for the sake of conformity I'll ask here as well:

Why are you having issues with ammonia spikes? Did something happen lately that you have been able to trace the readings to? I'm sure you know ammonia shouldnt just show up in a cycled tank. Sometimes it can be introduced by something but a healthy bacterial colony will clear it before you ever even notice it. So if it has been constant something else is goin on.

Ammonia is like acid to fish. Or even like, well ammonia to us. It burns. It's really nasty stuff. Not only that but if something else is causing micro organisms to die off in your tank that will cause the ammonia spike, but the cause is even more of a concern.

I'm glad the rest of your fish are doing ok, and I hope it stays that way. It's possible maybe the batch of Harley's you have is just weak for some reason, but I would try and find out what it is they are succumbing to even if the other fish are ok, because you don't want some kind of problem lurking in your tank just waiting for a differen species to get just weak enough to take out.

What is your filtration?
    Dual Aquaclear 50s with double Biomax
    Tank size?
    36 Gallon Bow Front
    Substrate?
    50lbs of rounded pebbles
    Cleaning protocol?
    Daily 75% water change with vacuuming
    Feeding schedule?
    Once a day. Mixture of NLS Small Fish Formula, Omega One Color Flakes and Hikari Sinking Wafers for the Corys

Or is the ammonia something you already diagnosed that I just never read about?
    I think my bb just needs to catch up.
    Sorry about your Harley. That always sucks to have to put someone down. I had to just last night because a neon got stuck to the filter intake. It's no fun. Poor guy lived through it but developed a massive bruise on that side, so I'm sure he was injured internally and I didn't want him to suffer for a day or two just to die anyway.

How did the other Harley's die?
    This first one was fin rot, and the other 2 disappeared, (probably eaten by the Mystery/Apple Snails)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great Point and questions Nephalem.

and tate, you really do daily 75% water changes?

My concern with that big a change each day is you not matching the tank temp exactly w/ the water changes...and that much fluctuation that often for the fish can cause extra stress and stress causes issues.