· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Standard neons, Cardinals, and black neons...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all - I have a 30 gallon tank (30L x 12D x 18H) that is still cycling at the moment, and I've been thinking a lot about what I want to stock it with. I've decided on going with neons, but I had a few questions:

1.)Will regular neons or cardinals school with black neons, or would each type be their own school? I would like to get one school of black neons and one school of either standard neons OR Cardinal tetras, if that would work.

2.)How many would be a good number to have total? I would just split them 50/50 and have two equal schools...I just don't want to overload the tank.

3.)I will also be adding some shrimp, either red cherry or painted fire reds. How much would they affect the number of tetras I can have in there?

I have read a LOT about compatability between neons and shrimp, and it's pretty divided as to whether or not it will work, so I figure I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. I have a few plants in there now, some fake rocks, and a piece of driftwood with moss tied to it, so there will be places for shrimp to hang out once everything gets going. I wouldn't be adding the shrimp until after having the tank going for a while with the fish in it. If things don't work out, I will get a second tank and make it shrimp-only. Thanks in advance for any input!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    each of those species will school with their own kind, not with each other (if you had only one or a few of each they'd probably school but that would not be the ideal situation). You could easily have two schools of a dozen each... and that's being conservative. Shrimp add next to nothing to bioload.

A lot of people report that everything eats shrimp, but I've had good luck with them. I have a healthy breeding colony of RCS in a tank with community fish (see signature). I have lots of hiding places and dense plant growth but the shrimp walk around the exposed parts of the tank without fear. When the tank is newer the fish would catch and eat a shrimp every now and then but I haven't seen it happen in months and even when it did happen it was not nearly often enough to harm the overall shrimp population. Seems to me the fish learn that catching a shrimp is just far too much work when nice immobile pellets get dropped into the tank twice a day.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    I have neons, harleiqum rasbora and shrimp in my tank. The shrimp are fine. I also had a 29 with nothing but neons. I also have the black neons but was not overly fond of them. Not sure why they are called neons other than because they are small.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If your new to keeping fish go with Neon's they are hardier than Cardinals but not realy a bigginer fish either. The Black Neons are hardier than the other two and will stay in the upper part of you tank where the other two will stay in the middle. The Black Neon makes a nice contrast from the other two.

Buy a Dz of each and you will do fine. I've never kept schrimp so I have to differ to my fellow forum members.

Good luck, I hope this helped.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    The Black Neon, IMO a very underated fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info everybody. I finally got my tank cycled and put in 12 black neons and 14 standard neons. I really want to get a good look at them in there, but they're all hiding in one corner of the tank and I have the lights off so they can settle in. Tomorrow will be my first real look at the tank actually being populated!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Good on you for having the patience to wait before turning on the lights.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I have both black neons and regular neons. They don't school with each other, and mostly they don't school at all, but they still look pretty awesome scattered all over the tank... The only thing is, the black neons are easily two or three times the size of the "regular" neons - they are much deeper in the body, and a little longer - they look very different to neons and cardinals when they grow up. Not sure if that is the look you are going for.