· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift....and thanks so much for all of that help with my betta!!!! : D - squirt_12   thanks for all of the help...again. lol. - squirt_12   Merry Christmas Blu :) - MeganL3985   for a fellow Betta lover - DragonGoby   

Default Breeding?

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking that I might breed my betta Bloodmoon:). Here is him and the possible females. Does anyone have some thoughts on these matches? Would it be a good idea?
    its very hard to find a nice red female here its mostly the cambodians
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Well if you want to see if they are a good match....put their tanks beside each other and the male should get excited and if the female drops her fins and gets horizontal stripes (although you can only really see this on a dark female betta) and as soon as this happens the male should begin to make a bubblenest. He will make it franticaly. During this process DO NOT FEED HIM becaus eit will distract him. When the bubble nest is done (or VERY big) then you can release her into the tank and leave them for about 2 days. If they start to get rough then TAKE HER OUT.

Ok well the tank shoulc be about a 10g and have the water about half way. The temp. should be at around 80 degrees (submersable heater) with a bubbling filter which is BARLEY (sp?) turned on because you don't want the water movement to destroy the bubblenest. Also it should be a submersable filter. Then you should have about 2-3 live or fake plants in the tank for the female to hide in and around when the male gets rought with her. Ok well i think that i have covered everything there.

P.S.
    You can leave them in the tank for more than 2 days if you don't think that they have bred but you can tell if they have bred because there will be eggs falling from the nest and the mother will be getting forced into the corner from the male.

Next...the babies...well do you want me to tell you about the fry or no??
    Last edited by squirt_12; 09-24-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift....and thanks so much for all of that help with my betta!!!! : D - squirt_12   thanks for all of the help...again. lol. - squirt_12   Merry Christmas Blu :) - MeganL3985   for a fellow Betta lover - DragonGoby   

0 Not allowed!
    I do have them next to eachother and he likes to flare at the crown female and she just watches him sometimes putting her head down. He has not built a bubble nest yet but he is not fully conditioned..another week give or take.
    and in addition to how they react to eachother does there color combination seen ok? Will the fry eat frozen bbs if not Im sure I can get live. And how fast do the babies grow? 1 more question:) any ideas what tail types I will get w/ these combos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blu
    I do have them next to eachother and he likes to flare at the crown female and she just watches him sometimes putting her head down. He has not built a bubble nest yet but he is not fully conditioned..another week give or take.
    and in addition to how they react to eachother does there color combination seen ok? Will the fry eat frozen bbs if not Im sure I can get live. And how fast do the babies grow? 1 more question:) any ideas what tail types I will get w/ these combos.
    ok well if the female puts her head down that is sometimes meaning that she is ready to spawn. But it could also mean that she is ot ready. The male should be working on a bubblenest. Does he have a styrofoam cup cut in half in the tank of rhim to make a bubblenest it?? tape the cup to the glass so it doesn't move. Ok well the colour combo should be fine. I don't think that it really matters. but if you want very nice fry then get good coloured bettas. Yes the fry will eat BBS and MWs(Micro Worms). Now the brine shrimp and the worms HAVE to be alive or the fry will not eat them. They see something moving and they attack it. That is how the fry survive. You could also get a indian leaf (i think thats what it is called) or maybe i think that it is called a betta leaf. and it will sorta make an envirinment ment for breeding. ( i am not 100% sure about the leaf thing sorry) And sorry but i honestly don't know about the tail types but someone else should beable to help you with that.

I hope that all of this helps.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have a styrafoam cup in yet they are not yet where I will beed them...will that make it easier to see if the male is ready even though hes not where he will breed? I just put them next to each other to see how they react...the female doesnt flare back but she likes to sit an watch him even when hes not looking at her.

Oh and its called an Indian Almond Leaf

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. Indian Almond leaf. i could not hink of the name. lol. Well how long have you been conditioning them for? and what have you been feeding them?
    Yes the styrofoam cup will help the male create a nest.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Iv conditioned the females for about a week and a half and the male for about a week.Im feeding them there pellets, brine shrimp, and blood worms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok well that is good for them to eat and that all os good conditioning food. Also another thing is that the female will be showing her 'white tube' when she is ready to spawn. The 'white tube' is located at the anus. Also make sure that the female is nice and plump (with eggs) before even attempting the breed.

Good luck with the breed.
    YOu will have to keep me posted. lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco   Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985   oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco   for quiz answer - Dave66   From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie   

0 Not allowed!
    man, you should see my betta!!!!
    he is building a lovely big bubble nest without a cup, just up against a piece of floating plastic plant, without a female anywhere!!!!
    im going to the pet shop tomorrow and hopefully i can find a nice big female for him.
    im just suprised that he is doing it without the female present??? he must really want to be a daddy lol
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well don't put the female in riht away. You have to condition her with flakes, pellets, bloodworms (frozen is best), brine shrimp (frozen or live), and tubifex worms. You will need to feed this to your betta a little tiny bit a couple times a day for about 2 weeks at least before you even introduce the male and the female.