· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Cermet, I am thinking about an algae scrubber...off to do some research. Let's see if you have turned me to the dark side!
    It works SO well you potentially need an algae scrubber to compensate? =

Reef light + FW tank (-CO2) = Algae farm . . . Why would you be surprised?

An appropriate light would serve you better without the need of further equipment to fix the issues caused by improper lighting. I'll bet you will tire quickly of fighting the algae [Or you will get a scrubber to fix a problem you shouldn't have]

Save yourself now
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=bethyMT;1129883 balance everything is hard(without doing CO2). It's well into the world of high-tech when I have a low-tech brain and limited experience.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, i know it is a challenge to undertake, but an algae scrubber will work kinda like a smaller version of your own tank minus the fish.
    you put a high light and a surface for the algae to grow on, so that it grows in the seperate area, rather than your tank.

it might be difficult to get/trick the algae to grow elsewhere when it already has optimal conditions in your main tank. ya know?

but do the research on the scrubber, and try and find that film to decrease the light.
    a combination of the film + raising the light will put you back in medium light and then you'll have the cheapest resolve.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Something tells me your adventure would have gone perfectly had you been dosing CO2. I keep my nitrate around 20ppm and my phosphate around 1-2ppm (dosing dry ferts) and I've never had algae problems, but I'm using pressurized CO2. I'd imagine if I turned off my CO2 'd be having the same problem as you.

Are you dead set against using CO2? If so, as others have said, you'd have to do something to decrease the amount of light getting into the tank.

You should post pics of the progress since you added the new lights.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are many ways I could go with this. I'm giving the upped water changes+dosing of excel a chance to work first. It was doing marvellously before I slacked off, so I hope it works again. I also added quite a bit of salvinia for surface cover. So we'll see. But thank you all for your ideas...I will be keeping them in mind if this approach doesn't work. It's so great to have some help!

I am thinking of glass tops however. I have them on my other tanks and I really like them. This would also make raising the light a bit easier if it has to be raised.

I will not be giving up on this light just yet. This is merely my hobby, and I enjoy tinkering with my tanks. It's not incredibly frustrating to me...I kind of like the puzzle of making this light work. I don't claim to be any sort of expert, nor am I in pursuit of perfection. As much as I value others' opinions, if this fact is just going to make you roll your eyes, please don't read, or chime in, any further.

I'll update in a couple of weeks!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.