· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: The new guy

Hybrid View

1. Question The new guy

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I'm new at this. I'm trying my best to memorize the names of plants, substrate, rocks, treatments, etc.

I've read a lot, spoken to a bunch of "experts", but I honestly believe that the internet community would have more to offer. That's why I signed up here.

I have a 10 gallon aquarium, heater and filter. This is your standard beginners bundle. I have the option of using regular lights or halogen lights.

I have black lava rocks at the bottom, a variety of rocks, and I just purchased driftwood and attached plants (one is called crypt parva but I forget the name of the other) to it with fish wire. I've added the recommended amount of plant fertilizer and I plan on leaving the tank for a week before adding any more plants or fish.

I have a general idea of what I would like to accomplish in this tank, but I want to know what you have to say, be it advice, warnings or "please stop before you murder the fish".

I like the idea of color and variety in the tank. For that reason, I would like to see if I could do the following organisms in this tank:

- Snails of some sort.
    - red cherry shrimp
    - Neon tetras
    - Ottos
    - My docile beta (it has a 1.5 gallon and seems happy, so I'm ok if this just wouldn't work)

How many of each could I do? One pro I spoke to told me I could do 3-5 rcs, 5 neon tetras, 2 ottos and 2 snails.

My other question is the order in which I should introduce the fish to their new habitat.

Are there any that I can use to cycle the tank and still survive?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The top two stickies on cycling in the cycling forum here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=111 are going to be very useful to you in setting up your 10.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Please note that I have a picture of my aquarium as my profile picture for viewing if that helps.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome! and good for you to do research prior to purchasing the fish.
    You've saved yourself some headache there.

10gal tanks are rough to stock due to their size.

but question:
    with your beta tank right now. does it have a heater/filter?

If not-then lets use the 10gallon for the beta and stock around that fella.
    Because the beta is a tropical fish and needs that. (and pending what others say, I personally think they need way way more than 1.5gallons)-like 10gallons at the minimum.

2nd: read up on cycling your 10gal-doing the fishLESS cycle-it'll go quicker and won't stress out your fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I think you are getting ahead of yourself species-wise.

Ideally, a betta and:

At least 6 neons and shrimp OR
    At least 6 neons and snails

Unless it is one snail that won't breed, then maybe neons and shrimp and a snail

Both shrimp and (most)snails will multiply.

I don't recommend ottos...they need a lot of fresh algae and can be tough for a beginner.

If your betta doesn't have a heater, get him one asap. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Mizzou, I think bettas should have at least 5g.

Ideally, a betta and:

At least 6 neons and shrimp OR
    At least 6 neons and snails
    This is a good suggestion, although you have to be very careful when keeping bettas with other fish -- and not just because of the betta's temperament. I had a very docile betta and I tried to house him with neons. My school of neons shredded his tail. Those long, colourful fins are extremely tempting to many fish.

7. Default Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your replies!

I like the idea of my betta (he's a tiny lil guy, curious but doesn't seem aggressive), 6 neon tetras and some cherry shrimp. Lots of color and they'd all stand out nicely with the black gravel and lots of green I plan on putting in. I'll make sure there is enough cover in the form of plants for my beta to hide if he's not a fan of the tetras or vice versa.

I only have one more question - with my five plants already in the tank, can I still do a fast cycle with ammonia?