· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMdevon
    Youre right about my water it is very soft. Should I add the crushed coral to my current gravel? And is there a particular one I should go for as there are loads on the net. Im in the UK
    Cermet is absolutely right however, you still may want to hold off until after your cycle is complete to see if your PH doesn't stabilize. The PH in my 30 was all over the place during my fish-in cycle. Once the tank became cycled, the PH stabilized. I'm also of the impression from things I've read on this forum, that the level of the PH isn't as important as having a stable PH - again, once your tank is cycled. Most fish can adapt as long as it doesn't fluctuate. I still think it will work itself out. At least I hope it does so you don't have to worry about addatives or coral.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-14-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    An uncycled tank never has a stable pH. Did you check the pH right from the tap? A stable pH, as mentioned above, is the most important but it can not drop down too far or will not allow bacteria to grow....just as Cerment mentioned.

If your pH is low right out of the tap, as well, I would add those shells to the tank. Make sure after you mix your tests, you allow the glass vials to sit on the counter for 5 minutes before taking a reading.

Back several posts, you wrote your fish were gasping at the surface. That's low oxygen, most likely from the ammonia in the water but could also be your filter is too small for the tank.

A filter too small for the tank will also not give you enough growing room for the bacteria you are trying to grow. I didn't see what filter you are using.

I just read back on the 8th, you said you had a ph of 7.2. That's a perfect pH so apparently the pH dropping in the tank is due to the ammonia that keeps appearing. You may want to up water changes to 50% every other day. That's a lot of water changes but you started out with way too many fish.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    An uncycled tank never has a stable pH. Did you check the pH right from the tap? A stable pH, as mentioned above, is the most important but it can not drop down too far or will not allow bacteria to grow....just as Cerment mentioned.

If your pH is low right out of the tap, as well, I would add those shells to the tank. Make sure after you mix your tests, you allow the glass vials to sit on the counter for 5 minutes before taking a reading.

Back several posts, you wrote your fish were gasping at the surface. That's low oxygen, most likely from the ammonia in the water but could also be your filter is too small for the tank.

A filter too small for the tank will also not give you enough growing room for the bacteria you are trying to grow. I didn't see what filter you are using.

I just read back on the 8th, you said you had a ph of 7.2. That's a perfect pH so apparently the pH dropping in the tank is due to the ammonia that keeps appearing. You may want to up water changes to 50% every other day. That's a lot of water changes but you started out with way too many fish.

I will test the tap water and leave adding anything for a few weeks til everything settles down. Filter is an interpret PF3 and tank is 100L. Specs say filter is good for tanks up to 136litres. Got two big airstones fed by air pump 4 (good for 600l/hr)
    Will start on the 50% water changes today. I took the Beta back as he was attacking the guppies and tetra and killed one of them. The ammonia spike killed 3 others.
    Anyway Ive got 5 less fish now and following advice on here instead of from the local aquarium shop as they gave me some bad advice on cycling and stock.

Everything seems to be staying settled now so just need to do the more frequent regular testing and water changes. Thanks for the advice. I will wait til the cycling has completed before making any changes to the tank setup to see where it all settles to.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys got another question. All seems to have settled down now. PH7.2 with soft water, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0 before my last water change. These readings were taken 3 days after a 50% water change before a 25% water change. Im looking for some nice rock to put in the tank and found some sea rock for sale at a cheap price. Its been sat in a shed for a few months and wondered if I could use this if run through a cleaning process or will it be to reactive and alter the water chemistry?
    Attached Images Attached Images