· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    What did you rinse your filter media in?? If you used tap water, then most likely you killed all of your beneficial bacteria and you are, indeed, going through a new cycle. The way your fish are dying - gasping and red gills - speaks to ammonia poisoning and that's what happens when a tank isn't cycled.

The strips you're using are not very accurate. You would be better off getting an API liquid test kit to check your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH. And do your testing before you make a water a change for a true reading on where you are in your cycle. if you show ANY amount of ammonia or nitrite, you do not have a cycled tank.

If that's the case, keep checking your water and every day that you do not show 0 ammonia or nitrites, do a partial water change until you come up with your 0 readings. this may take a couple of months. Do not add any more fish until you know your cycle is complete.

As for the PH - it will often fluctuate during a cycle. do not worry about it. And I've never heard of adding soda to a FW tank ... maybe someone else can speak to that but I'd be reluctant to do it.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMdevon
    Ive been told by a shop that I should add a small teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to increase the ph. Is this a good idea?

Thanks, Im using liquid API master test kit and when I reset the tank up several weeks ago now I lightly rinsed the filters in tank water. Only lightly cleaned the gravel (tank was running for a year before it was drained and given to me in the same day.
    Will try the water changes and hope it settles down. Maybe I accidentally cleaned everything to well.
    Should I leave the old carbon filter in the unit until it all settles down

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Im using liquid API master test kit and when I reset the tank up several weeks ago now I lightly rinsed the filters in tank water. Only lightly cleaned the gravel (tank was running for a year before it was drained and given to me in the same day.
    Will try the water changes and hope it settles down. Maybe I accidentally cleaned everything to well.
    Should I leave the old carbon filter in the unit until it all settles down
    If the carbon is over a few weeks old it's not doing anything but I'd leave it for now since the media surrounding the carbon may contain some BB that you don't want to lose.

Was the tank fully drained? If so, did the media dry out by any chance? You could have lost your BB if that happened. Or was the media and or filter out of the water more than a day? With a tank tear down a lot of things could have happened to disrupt the cycle.

I'd keep testing and keep doing the water changes. If you're showing any ammonia or Nitrites at all before a water change, then, unfortunately, you are in the midst of a cycle. If you're showing 0/0 + less than 20 nitrates, then you should be cycled and I'm not sure what's happening.

This may have been asked - are you using a water conditioner to make certain chlorine is being removed before you the water to the tank?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    As mentioned, definitely pick-up a liquid-based parameter test (like API Freshwater Master Test Kit - they're more affordable on Amazon.com) and make sure your cycle is done.

Fishmommie is right - it probably doesn't matter how lightly you "rinsed" your media, you probably killed off a lot, if not all of your nitrobacteria. Rinsing your media should always be done with tank water (no matter how disgusting it looks). ;]
    Edit: Disregard that. Just saw you had one and you used tank water.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie

As for the PH - it will often fluctuate during a cycle. do not worry about it. And I've never heard of adding soda to a FW tank ... maybe someone else can speak to that but I'd be reluctant to do it.

Good luck!
    You can add baking soda to up the pH, but people shy away from fooling around with their pH, as most fish can tolerate a wide range of pH. 6.2 seems pretty low, but it's more than likely within the tolerable levels for your fish. Also, when you start adjusting your pH, you're going to fall into the trap of having to maintain your ideal pH with additives, which can be problematic and it just creates more work for yourself.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 10-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    there was a couple inches of water left in the gravel and filters were still damp but not wet. From what you're saying im guessing it dried out too much. Im using aquacare water conditioner and nutrafin cycle with all newly added water. Sounds like Im going to be testing and partial water changing much more often for the next week or so. Thanks Everyone for all the help.
    Glad i joined his forum as lots of useful advice from you all and better than local aquarium shop. Ill keep you posted with how things go from the water changes

0 Not allowed!
    there was a couple inches of water left in the gravel and filters were still damp but not wet. From what you're saying im guessing it dried out too much. Im using aquacare water conditioner and nutrafin cycle with all newly added water. Sounds like Im going to be testing and partial water changing much more often for the next week or so. Thanks Everyone for all the help.
    Glad i joined his forum as lots of useful advice from you all and better than local aquarium shop. Ill keep you posted with how things go from the water changes
    Glad you joined, too. Always happy to meet new fish keepers. ;] Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like it was the ammonia level even though it was only a smidge above 0. Done another 25% water change and now the fish all seam more happy and buzzing around the tank again and haven't lost any more fish in last 2 days .

Checking levels every day for next couple weeks now. I did try a small level teaspoon of bicarb of soda to try and help things along. Ph lifted from 6.2 - 7.0.

Reckon I'll leave adding any more fish or plants for at least a couple weeks.
    Thanks guys for all the input.

Will be back for recommendations on postal plant suppliers in the uk as local shops are very sparse on selection.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    glad to hear things are looking up. keep checking your water perimeters and doing your water changes and all should be well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you have soft water and falling pH may be an issue. The Bi-carb will help but a better substrate is a more viable solution (crushed coral). While most fish can handle a pH 6.2 the cycling bacteria can not! This will slow the bacteria grow to a crawl.

Keep the pH near 7.0 (helps keep any ammonia converted to ammonium (safer form.)) When you do a water change, do a min of 50%. That will halve a waste level. A 25% just is way too small. That is ok for a cycled aquarium if done often enough - currently not your situation.

Best of luck - keep an eye out for nitrites - that is stage two of the bacteria growth. When those drop to zero, your aquarium is cycled.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Sounds like you have soft water and falling pH may be an issue. The Bi-carb will help but a better substrate is a more viable solution (crushed coral). While most fish can handle a pH 6.2 the cycling bacteria can not! This will slow the bacteria grow to a crawl.

Keep the pH near 7.0 (helps keep any ammonia converted to ammonium (safer form.)) When you do a water change, do a min of 50%. That will halve a waste level. A 25% just is way too small. That is ok for a cycled aquarium if done often enough - currently not your situation.

Best of luck - keep an eye out for nitrites - that is stage two of the bacteria growth. When those drop to zero, your aquarium is cycled.

Youre right about my water it is very soft. Should I add the crushed coral to my current gravel? And is there a particular one I should go for as there are loads on the net. Im in the UK

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Crushed coral should be available at any store that handles Marine fish; you are correct that you may not want all coral. Not sure what to do so maybe others can give some imput. My guess is use all crushed coral and the water/substrate will form an equilibrium that should hold the pH steady. A 50/50 mix might be more cost effective. Maybe try that first and see if the pH holds.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-14-2012 at 12:03 AM.