· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    Hmm, well in that case you may be okay. Keep a very close eye out that the male is not harassing the female. It is usually best to keep 1m:2-3f to spread harassment from the male.

Nitrate almost . ?

If you like the betta you could very easily set up his own wee tank -- maybe your Mrs can keep it since she was the one who nagged you into buying him! They only need a few gallons, a small heater and a little sponge filter will do the trick. HERE'S my little betta tank, it's 5g (20L) and a breeze to maintain.

BTW you tank looks very nice.
    Unfortunately I only have the one tank at the mo and thats cost me around 400 so far even with the free tank, filter and heater. Think the betta will have to go back for now. I reckon I will have to leave the mrs at home next time i go for more fish!
    Glad you think the tank looks nice. It needs a few more plants, a couple of rocks and possibly a couple more tetras (different ones) and that should be it set but will leave that for a couple more weeks to let it all settle down. Thanks for the advice.
    By the way do you think I should add any more after this with 1-2 week partial water changes or should that be about it for the tank? I dont want to overload it.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm. With Guppies, DGs AND Cardinals I think the mid-upper region of you tank is pretty much full. You could add a few more guppies or Cardinals but I would not add another species. If you wanted another species I would suggest taking back the guppies and replacing them with something like Harlequin Rasbora.

I would recommend increasing your peppered cories to at least 6 as they are a schooling fish.

I would probably go --
    - 2x DGs (although I'm still wary of this)
    - 6x Fancy Guppies
    - 12x Cardinal Tetras
    - 6x Peppered Cories

0 Not allowed!
    You're stocking too quickly for one thing. The first group of fish should have cycled the tank and then a few more fish added. They could not have cycled the tank in one week but by then the ammonia would have just started to climb. Then here come 2 gourami, a betta and guppies.

I would hardly call 19 fish in 25 gallons stocking slowly. Your cycle is in the filters so make sure you do not clean them and keep up with water changes but you will need a liquid test kit so you can keep track of ammonia readings.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-09-2012 at 01:52 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Took the Betta back yesterday and al seemed more calm and relaxed in the tank last night and now had a guppy and tetra die today. Tested the water again ph has dropped a little to 6.2, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate between 5.0-10.0ppm, temp 25 degrees C. Done 20% water change 2 nights ago.
    Neither fish look nibbled but tetra was gasping at the bottom of the tank by the filter and gills look red before it died.
    Any suggestions? quickly feeling out of my depth already and worried Im doing something wrong.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMdevon
    Took the Betta back yesterday and al seemed more calm and relaxed in the tank last night and now had a guppy and tetra die today. Tested the water again ph has dropped a little to 6.2, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate between 5.0-10.0ppm, temp 25 degrees C. Done 20% water change 2 nights ago.
    Neither fish look nibbled but tetra was gasping at the bottom of the tank by the filter and gills look red before it died.
    Any suggestions? quickly feeling out of my depth already and worried Im doing something wrong.
    If you have .25ppm ammonia, do another water change. In fact, when in doubt... do a water change. Clean/healthy water = clean/healthy fish, and in a clean/healthy tank, there should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and ~5-10ppm nitrates (20ppm nitrates is also tolerable). It's possible your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like an ammonia spike killed them off. It can happen easily when I tank has a new cycle, or too many fish get added.

Keep doing water changes daily until you read no ammonia or nitrite.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    With a pH of 6.2, as I understate it, the standard nitrifrying bacteria will almost shut down in a filter. If that is your normal pH, this could be a big issue. If this is just due to very soft water, just do water changes and consider a coral based substrate to get the water harder. Otherwise, another biological filter (not based on standard nitrifrying type) might be needed.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    If you have .25ppm ammonia, do another water change. In fact, when in doubt... do a water change. Clean/healthy water = clean/healthy fish, and in a clean/healthy tank, there should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and ~5-10ppm nitrates (20ppm nitrates is also tolerable). It's possible your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning.

Ok Thanks, Ammonia level maybe 0 as its hard to tell. It looks like its pos just off zero but doesnt look like the next level up of 0.25ppm. Will try a water change and see what happens. Also just noticed another 2 tetras struggling. Should I do a gravel clean aswell or just partial water change. Would it be wise to change the carbon filter or is that likely to be too much upset?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    With a pH of 6.2, as I understate it, the standard nitrifrying bacteria will almost shut down in a filter. If that is your normal pH, this could be a big issue. If this is just due to very soft water, just do water changes and consider a coral based substrate to get the water harder. Otherwise, another biological filter (not based on standard nitrifrying type) might be needed.

Ive been told by a shop that I should add a small teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to increase the ph. Is this a good idea?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMdevon
    I only lightly cleaned the gravel and lightly rinsed the filters not washed them. I also added biological supplement and ran for just over a week before the first fish went in
    What did you rinse your filter media in?? If you used tap water, then most likely you killed all of your beneficial bacteria and you are, indeed, going through a new cycle. The way your fish are dying - gasping and red gills - speaks to ammonia poisoning and that's what happens when a tank isn't cycled.

The strips you're using are not very accurate. You would be better off getting an API liquid test kit to check your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH. And do your testing before you make a water a change for a true reading on where you are in your cycle. if you show ANY amount of ammonia or nitrite, you do not have a cycled tank.

If that's the case, keep checking your water and every day that you do not show 0 ammonia or nitrites, do a partial water change until you come up with your 0 readings. this may take a couple of months. Do not add any more fish until you know your cycle is complete.

As for the PH - it will often fluctuate during a cycle. do not worry about it. And I've never heard of adding soda to a FW tank ... maybe someone else can speak to that but I'd be reluctant to do it.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492