· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Also, did a pH test, it is in the middle on neutral, is this where it should be? The test kit doesn't say neutral is ok, it just says if it's 'too high' or 'too low' and i'm sure the lady at the pet store said the water should be more acidic.I was told to put some of the old water into the new tank.......for good bacteria, but i'm pretty sure you guys said 'clean water'....I have been given bad advice from this pet store before....tried cooked pease, tried raw frozne peas...they all sink before Boomer sees them.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, tank is salted temp is almost the same, hence little fishy in the bag floating in water, it's about a degree off....the pH is the same as the old tank ( neutral), still have to place the old filter in alongside the new one and let him go.I will not put melafix or pima fix in until tomorrow morning. I did figure out what to do after reading the previous posts again, thanks guys, will let you know how he is in the morning.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers G ma
    Also, did a pH test, it is in the middle on neutral, is this where it should be? The test kit doesn't say neutral is ok, it just says if it's 'too high' or 'too low' and i'm sure the lady at the pet store said the water should be more acidic.I was told to put some of the old water into the new tank.......for good bacteria, but i'm pretty sure you guys said 'clean water'....I have been given bad advice from this pet store before....tried cooked pease, tried raw frozne peas...they all sink before Boomer sees them.
    The lady at the pet store told you wrong regarding putting old water into the new tank - it's the bacteria in the media of an established filter which is what you want - bacteria dont' live in the water.

You should not fiddle around with your pH - where it is is where it is - fish can be acclimated to a range of pH readings by slowly introducing them to the water in the tank. Many of us have readings anywhere from 6.5 up to 7.8 and even more on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The one thing I like to share here is that there are many people who purchase fish online so unless you ask the seller what pH the fish is coming from, there is no way to know this so fish have to be acclimated anyway.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The water in the old tank reads 7.0 pH, so I matched the water in the new tank so it's what he's used to, apparently our water is 7.0 because i've not treated the old water for pH, the only prob I've had is ammonia. I had the old tank water tested yesterday and ammonia is no longer a problem since I did so many water changes. I moved him with only a little water in the bag so that he could adjust to the one degree temp difference for a while before putting him in.I placed his old filter in, actually had no choice in that, the new filter which sits in the top of the tank cover throws him around and pushed him to the bottom of the tank, terrible turbulance, it scared him and now he's hiding in the corner of the tank near the filter pump but I have to say he 'seems' better than two days ago.Don't know about this new filter, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to adjust it. but otherwise so far so good, still no luck with peas.....why don't my peas float?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did you shell the peas? Like, take the outer covering off the pea itself? And did you cut them up very small?

Either way, don't let the peas sit on the bottom...scoop them out.

For the filter, stick aquarium-safe foam or something where the water comes out to slow the flow. Betta are not strong swimmers.

If you are sure he has parasites, go find an internal anti-parasitic.

Yeah, don't trust the pet store. Old water is just dirty water. :-P
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep I shelled the peas, ( I used fresh frozen, and briefly nuked them) I see some people don't cook them at all? I think I need to see if I can get the anti parasitic food.
    Good thinking re the foam!, I was ready to buy another filter and finding one that fits this....I think not easy.Will get on that today.

I do have another question, about the heater...why does it never read the same temp as the thermometer? I took out the old heater, bought a new one because I thought it was broken.I had it set on 27 yesterday, but in order for it to be 27 on the thermometer I had to turn it up to 28.5...now I have the heater in the bigger 34 litre tank since lastnight I have turned it up to 29.5 and still the thermometer says only 25.5....do I need a bigger heater or do I just keep turning it up until it says 27...which is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks for the tip re the foam in the filter.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am back, and if it's not one thing it's another, the water in the tank looks cloudy Also, the foam I use to slow the filter flow, does it have to be specific material, is there anything unsafe?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anything not labelled for an aquarium may be unsafe...best bet is to either search the item, or go to a petstore. They have foam for a couple bucks. I have heard a clean plastic scrubbie would work too.

Cloudy water is fine, it means your good bacteria is growing. Don't do anything special other than what you have been doing. It will clear up in a few days.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Boomer is swimming around, tail wagging, happy little fishy on the mend in his new tank. He adores his new plants, much bushier, he thinks I can't see him lol.Loves the UV light, gets a little excited when I turn it on.
    Still having trouble with the heater? or maybe this is normal. The temp was 80 ( US temp) but then when I get up in the moring it's dropped a few degrees to what I consider too cold and it tends to vary up and down a lot. As I said this is the second heater that has behaved in the same way...thinking maybe I need two heaters in one tank?
    I still have the old filter running, it seems to be a little clogged in an awkward spot I obviously missed cleaning last time....can I use untreated or bottled water to clean it without removing good bacteria?
    Also, the ulcer on his little chin looks like it's healing from underneath and the sore is peeling off now.
    Aaaaah no luck getting fresh peas around here, I could probably get them across border sometime when i'm not working.
    Ty everyone, pretty certain Boomer wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you guys.
    I will search for the right foam, thanks.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    This will explain cycling

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Frozen peas are fine for your fish, just microwave them as you did and take the shell off before you give them to your fish. Instead of anti-parasitic food I suggest PraziPro, I've used it with great success and many fish won't eat the medicated food.
    You can clean the filter media in old tank water or new dechlorinated water if it's badly clogged, but it's not advised to clean it while cycling, the link I gave you in this post will explain.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.