· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok , water change.....
    Sorry I didn't realise I was in an American forum, when I said 25 degrees I meant celsius, he has a heater.
    As soon as he is better, if he gets better, the snails are outta there.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I want to take the snails out now, as many as I can, do they need a heater? these are not store bought snails, I was told by the store they are the brown variety that come into the store attached to their plants, they weren't sure of their name.

0 Not allowed!
    I do remember reading numerous times of effective ways to remove snails, however, once you remove what you want, there is no need to get rid of all of them - just watching how much you feed can control them a bit.

I wonder why you are asking whether they need a heater - are you planning to put them somewhere else or just get rid of them - I think most of us have aquired snails via plants - that's why people recommend soaking plants in alum before putting them into a tank.

In general, when a fish in an established tank isn't doing well, we always ask about water changes, water parameters and what the owner has done recently which might have brought on stress/illness - like replacing filter media. As you were advised, it's very important to change the tank water more than every 3 weeks and vacuum the substrate to remove waste/uneaten food - the filter doesn't get everything.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

In case I missed it what size tank is your betta in? Adding so many things to your tank at once like the way you have been doing may be doing more harm than good if its a smaller tank. I would advise to stop adding all your meds and start doing partial water changes every couple days and get it diluted down to just clean water. I would even go so far as leaving out your water change water for a day or 2 to allow most of the chlorine to outgas or "age" from out of your water instead of adding all the dechlorinator (maybe do half dosage to be "safe") and ensure its about the same temp as the tanks water to prevent temp shock.

Biggest thing you should pay attention to now is that Melafix and possibly Pimafix are tea tree oil based "natural" meds. Melafix should be used at around half the dosage for Betta fish as it can affect the labrynth organ which allows betta or gourami fish to breath air from the surface. Safe dosage is something like half dosage to make it the same strength as bettafix which is made specifically for bettas. Your guy might be gulping air at the surface more because of this. Gradually dilute this out of his tank water so you dont shock him by simply plunkin him into clean clear water. What I would do for this is do a 50% water change but add in the clean water very slowly over a period of hours by using drip acclimation techniques.

Also, the normal lifespan of bettas is approx 2-3 years. Since pet stores usually carry fish that are about 1 yrs old to start, and you have had him for close to 2 years, your guy might be getting up there in age and is finding it harder and harder to fight off disease and infections etc. In my experience with the 9 or so bettas I have had in my 58G community tank (some of which were from my own spawns) when they are getting old they start to exhibit the same behaviors of hiding, floating at the surface, wedging themselves in plants and behind filter tubing later in their lives. You may need to prepare yourself for the inevitable.

Cant comment on the long skinny string of poop as I have never seen that but its likely internal worms as someone else mentioned.

Hopefully this helps!
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

5. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, reading through your messages ( thank you btw) I am trying to answer everything.
    First of all I did the water change last night as Azurescriber said, I have changed at least 1 third of the water twice in the last two days and since the water change last night ( it's Sat morn here now) I have not put in anymore medications, but I can tell you this worries me too because of the ulcer type spot he has on his mouth, what happens if I don't treat this? I think I will half dose as you suggested CGY.

The water here is heavily treated, letting it evaporate chemicals wont work here, I was already advised this for me green tree frogs, we have chemicals that must be treated but I am doing this with the Stress Coat now.

Boomer had little fins when we got him, I think maybe he was a baby when we got him and I think I said we have had him 19 months now...I guess yes, you maybe be right about old age.

This is day 6 of being sick and the long piece of thread like material coming from his body ( shown in the photograph in link from previous post)has finally vanished overnight.....if it is intestinal worms, what will I treat that with?...and can I continue other treatments at half strength?

Andrea, yes I would like to keep the snails in the tank which Boomer is in now (18 litre), Boomer will hopefully be well enough to go into his new bigger tank. I want to put natural plants in for him...he likes hiding, loves his castle too but he doesn't fit in it, he thinks he is hidden with his entire butt hanging out the back lol.Me thinks....a bigger castle too.I don't mind if the snails die off naturally, but i can't bring myself to kill any living thing and nobody else of course, wants them so this will be my solution I guess...for now.

I think btw, it has been the snails that are the trouble as you all said and I would like to at least shift them out for now and put them into something else until Boomer is better( if he makes it) because I have been told I cannot take him out yet and put him in the new tank because it will shock him, so yes I wanted to know if the snails need a heater. Also not changing the water more often is obviously a problem, I always thought is 'looks' clean.....the only sediment it has is visible way 'under' the gravel where I can't clean....and I didn't know ammonia would be a problem.

Still concerned re the ulcer...and the worm thingy, if it's worms? He is still not looking any better...but he is still eating.

6. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Also, in the second photograph, does anyone think his tummy is bulging?if he has intestinal worms, this would cause bulging right?
    http://s1310.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0e176798.jpg

7. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, another note, I have read that Bettas dont do well in larger tanks, is this true? and what is the reason for it? also another member said I needed to 'cycle' the water...not sure what this means.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found this picture too, this looks like what Boomer had hanging from him the last 6 days, as I said it appears to have fallen off now...http://africancichlidforum.com/forum...php/t8990.html

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas do fine in larger tanks as long as there isnt too fast a current especially if he has a big tail and fins. I would move him with most of the current tank water then fill the rest of the way slowly with fresh water. Sorta like another water change. Also depending on how well you cleaned the filter of fungus, If you scrubbed and washed everything then u most likely wiped out any beneficial bacteria which means u have lost your cycled tank if it ever was to begin with. Might as well put him in the bigger one but make sure u keep with weekly water changes. How big is the second tank? And where do u live? Canada? Gonna guess you have chloramine in your local water.
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Chlorimine sounds a familiar word yes, and I am in Australia.The new tank is 34 litre.
    Did you mean I can move him even if he's sick? like...right now?
    re the filter, it was washed, not scrubbed, just with water about 2 weeks ago when we found the fungus, and there's no 'new' fungus growing in it since.

Sorry i still don't understand the term 'cycled' water......does this just mean the water is 'old"?