· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Unhappy Unknown, possible columnaris?

0 Not allowed!
    Saw the white/grey spot after I released my new fancy tail guppies into my tank. After I decided it "must" be columnaris I removed her. This morning the other female was also dead. I know this is supposed to be highly contagious so I wanted to see what others may think it is.
    Will have to load the pics from a computer in a minute.

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2 more pics with my actual camera

4. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Kick for some late night help?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not 100% sure, but it does look like columnaris. It just doesn't appear to be fungusy yet.

If it is columnaris, it is very contagious, and you have to start treating pretty quickly. A nice large 50% water change and gravel vac, and some kind of treatment, depending on what else you have in the tank. There's a few different things you can use, but you have to be careful with some of them, if you have snails, shrimp, or scaleless fishes, such as catfish, loaches, corys, plecos.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Angry

0 Not allowed!
    I did start a bubbler right away and bought aquarium salts (not added just yet). I euthanized the pictured guppy and immediately removed the other female guppy once I saw it was dead. Just sucks I bought it/them this way and now my tank may go back to a grave yard (had a nitrate issue a month ago). None of the other fish I bought were in the same tank at That Fish Place. I hope I caught it early enough, none of the others are showing the same. Yet...

The main problem I am concerned with is I read this is ever present in the water, but not quite understanding how it can get out of control. Maybe I should just get out my 5gal tank and prepare for a hospital...

The only other fish than guppies are pygmy corys. Thanks for the input

i forgot to mention, because of the previous issue I did do several 80% water changes and gravel vacs. But I'm thinking if my water is good again and I did not initially cause the problem my tank just needs prevent defense
    Last edited by richberstler; 10-08-2012 at 07:32 AM.