· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have lots of dental chew bones, dental teeth clean gel that i use daily (he hates that), and dental water additive that i use daily. He smells minty fresh with a hint of beef usually. :) Now that he's finally started using his bones it seems to really be helping out with the cleaning of teeth that the gel needs a bit of help doing.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So i have been furiously researching to try to find why Paddington is so big even though he looks like a purebred maltese. And my findings conclude that he is a poorly bred "backyard breeding" of purebred maltese, which can sometimes result in amazingly large or tiny puppies from time to time. He has straight silky hair in a single coat cool to touch in longer areas. Other than the size, it all matches up:

"The body is compact, fine-boned, but sturdy and slightly longer than it is tall with a level top line. The chest is deep. The skull is slightly rounded on the top with a moderate stop. The medium length muzzle tapers, but not to a point. The pendant, low-set ears are set close to the head and heavily feathered. The black eyes are large, round and set moderately apart with dark rims. The nose is black with open nostrils. The dog has a silky, single layer coat that is white or light ivory. When kept long and groomed like a show dog, it hangs flat, long over the sides of the body almost to the ground hanging on each side of a center part line and is not wavy, curly or kinky...... The Maltese sheds little to no hair and is good for allergy sufferers."
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maltese.htm

"A correct silky coat on an adult Maltese will feel cool to the touch." "...mother nature can (and does) play tricks on even the most dedicated and reputable breeders every now and then, which can result in a larger than normal Maltese..." "...you find out, after you have grown attached to your puppy, that it is going to be over the 7 pound standard or, heaven forbid, 10 to 15 pounds."
    http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/maltesesize.htm
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Could be he's not purebred either. I think my AmBull (from the pound) is likely purebred, but she might not be. I saw some puppies that were dead ringers for her...and they were not purebred. I was actually surprised.

And I've seen some AmBulls I would have sworn were mixes, that were purebred too. Lots of variation in the breed.

Hard to tell. Even with a DNA test for breed, it's not a guarantee...

And yes...backyard breeders don't care what they breed...they just want the $$$...which is why they're such a danger...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

4. Angry Something Is Wrong With Him!

0 Not allowed!
    Well, looks like i have to visit the vet much sooner than expected. Was looking at the records from his last vet visit dated for 10/08/12. They said he wasnt overweight in the report, yet they didnt weigh him and you can tell by looking at him and comparing to this body condition chart. Hes a bit bigger than 7 but not as big as 9, so maybe an 8. This week he started having major itching problems, and i was informed by the one lady that knew him beforehand that hes always had a problem with hot spots. Hes also been yelping and chasing his tail randomly and being very listless and finicky with eating. He seems to struggle to poop, but the consistency of it is good and there is no blood or anything i can see wrong with it. Ill bag a sample when i walk him on day i go to the vet.

Im not bothering to take him to vet during the hurricane since im afraid of storms and my car cant drive straight in wind and my tires are going bad and screeching alot in rain, so i figure all will be good by friday and i will have the whole day open then to go to vet and everything. My aunt thinks it might be something with anal glands or something, but he doesnt do the scoot. Hopefully it wont be too expensive. It does anger me though that ive had the dog just over 2 weeks and already i have to take him to my vet for something possibly serious.

And that is why i strongly dislike the vet she took him to. Thats where i used to take my cat. They always misdiagnose my animals with the most expensive misdiagnosis possible, and have almost killed my cat by telling us he was diabetic and making us give him insulin shots that caused hypoglycemic shock on multiple occasions. I didnt even own this dog yet and they said he was perfect health and perfect weight and now hes sick and he was way overweight... Sigh.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm confused. Are you going to a questionable vet clinic? Book in at another one.

Hot spots, allergies, anal gland issues are all 'normal' issues. It will likely be a bit expensive, since you still have pay the basic exam fee...but hopefully you'll get a handle on what's what this way and can start over from scratch...

I've noticed, these last 15 years or so, that many clinics do 'pad' their treatment options. Once you have the basic diagnoses, you can do a little homework, or get a second opinion, if you think your clinic is one of these.

I've had one vet tell me that the cat was in need of some $600 of immediate dental care. She wasn't. Ten years later (this summer) my current vet complimented me on well the cat's teeth looked.

The Mini-D is another example. I took her in for her knee two months ago. I could have booked a surgery right away had I wanted to. But together (the vet and I)...we opted to see what would happen with meds and physio (try something non-invasive first). So far so good. I'm still being careful with her...and still doing physio...but come spring we should be in the clear and she can start the long walks again.

But some things do need immediate attention, and you can't wait to see if it resolves on its own, or gets worse, etc.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No the vet im going to now is nice, but the one that previous owner just took him to on the 8th is the one that we used to take my cat to that almost killed the cat before we switched vets. That vet is the one that has this report that makes no sense. Which is why i now have to go to my vet and get it all redone.

Now i notice he also has cherry eye. So im going to get my good vet to do a complete exam and just fix everything because that other vet just angers me so much. I know the anal glands and hot spots are common but i still wish they would have told me he had those problems before. And the vet should have been able to know if his anal glands were full and wrote that in the report at least if not fixing it.

The yelping and struggling to poop is bugging me a lot. I hate to see him so uncomfortable. The hot spots at least are under control with an ointment i bought at Tractor Supply Company. But his butt is causing him so much discomfort that he is constantly restless and doesnt sit in one spot for more than like 15mins before he will jump up, run in a circle chasing tail, and then run over to a different spot and lay back down. Poor thing. :(

Also noticed a lump on his belly last night while trying to relax him and make him sleep. Adding that to my list of concerns to mention to my good vet. This is probably going to be a large bill just for the tests and the cherry eye and the anal glands if thats the problem. The weather says we should be in the clear (Tropical Storm Sandy is supposed to destroy the streets around my house like last septembers hurricane) by Thursday so ill make an appointment for Thursday night for him.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just got back from my vet visit. He had very very badly compacted and infected anal glands. I could hear him yelping in the waiting room as they were working on that. Then they shaved that whole area and told me i have to wipe him down several times daily for next two weeks with baby wipes to soothe and keep area clean to prevent infection. They told me i now have him down to an okay weight. He is supposed to be 20-22lbs, he now weighs 24.6lbs.

They looked at the lump and said it appears fine but if i ever notice it growing bring him in and they will check it out more. They also did a heartworm and other internal parasites test, and a lyme disease test. He came out negative for all, so he is able to start heartworm prevention tomorrow. They did another fecal exam, and that was very good results. They said the wet food he was eating was bad for him and probably caused the tearing around his eyes and his chewing of feet and hot spot, so now they want him kept on the Taste Of The Wild dry i have and he said once or twice a week he can have a bit of a high quality wet food, which he also said Taste of The Wild was a good brand for.

The cherry eye they said is not a problem, as it seems to go back in place sometimes, so as long as its not bulging and staying stuck he should be fine there. They mentioned his teeth and i told them that they are actually improving and hes been on a tooth cleaning gel for two weeks so they said that they will mark it down in report and when he goes in next they will see if hes better since i havent had him long enough to see what it looked like before and how much it has changed. So now i have a healthy dog that should be good for a while!
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 11-02-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent! That's not too bad!

The anal glands can be a big issue for some dogs...just something you have to stay up on. The teeth getting better is excellent...and he's not all that much overweight...just cut back the food a wee bit and take him for lots of long walks! That will do the trick!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He also will probably lose the pounds as he starves himself for several days here now. The vet said to make him eat his dry food, and that if i take away the wet food and not feed him anything else but the dry he will eat it eventually. Yesterday the food went untouched. Hes getting very hungry today, so hopefully that means hes going to get the point soon and just eat the dry food already. Such a stubborn dog. If i mixed the dry food into wet he ate around it. If i added some water to the dry food he completely refused it. If i threw it in the yard for the birds he ate it. u_u Hes still finding energy to run around like a maniac in yard and on walks though, so i guess hes not starving too bad yet.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    He won't starve. At some point he'll come around!

It's a lot harder to starve than we think. I always hear people talking about starving if they skip a meal, or don't get to eat as much as they want at a meal.

It takes weeks of NO food to actually starve...