· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck! I'm excited for you!

Just be agreeable with the owner and listen to what she says.

Once the dog is settled at your place you can change his diet and go ahead with whatever improvements you feel he needs in his routine.

I feed my Mini-D a cup a day of high quality dry food (also for her teeth, which are prone to tartar buildup) and count in the treats she gets into her total caloric intake to keep her weight under control...it's hard with the little dogs...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Huh. I never had a problem keeping my parents Chihuahua at a healthy weight even on a free feed diet and lots of treats. Guess ill keep that in mind then in case this dog needs special calorie counting like yours.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tonight i go to meet Mr Pattinson for the first time. She told me to bring anybody else i wanted to meet him, so my grandma just pointed out to me last night that i should probably bring my cat to meet him. That way i can make sure they get along so i dont end up bringing home a disaster when cat doesnt like dog or vice versa.

I figure if cat acts shy around dog that is fine, that will change. If either shows aggression i will have to study severity and decide if it will get better or worse. If dog is too excitable towards cat it might not work either, because the cat is really old and doesnt want a dog constantly trying to play with him.

My managers at work are so nice to me sometimes. The one that is my age and my friend is the manager in charge today, and he said he will let me out at least 15mins early today. Because now that i have to go get cat, the half hour of time i would have if i got off at 530 would not be enough time to come home, get cat ready, pack him up in car, and get back to meeting place by work by 6. It takes me 10mins to get to work when its not rush hour, and usuallly 15-20mins to get home. So if its rush hour it could take 20mins to get home, and it could take another 15 mins to get back, so that gives me 10 mins to get cat ready, which i can do. But i cant do all that in 30 minutes. Just not possible. Its amazing what 15 extra minutes can do! :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck! Just be aware that if you introduce the cat on the dog's territory you might have aggression problems you wouldn't see in a neutral area, or even in the cat's home (in your home the cat may rebel by urinating in unacceptable places for example).

Chihauhaus are less prone to obesity than some other breeds, such as the Mini-D's, pugs, beagels, etc.. Some dogs are just easier to manage weight on than others. So there are generalizations you can make with the breed...and then of course there are individual variations as well. I'm sure there are fat chihauhaus out in the world too...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well apparently this dog is fat. And hes not the purebred i thought he was. Hes about the size of a westie, all white with non-shedding hair, but he was recently groomed and his hair is super short, and i saw he has black spots on his skin, and he has floppy ears. What breed of dog has black spots on skin but not on fur?

Shes going to give me some of his sweaters from last winter. She doesnt think they fit him anymore since hes gained a good amount of weight, but i think that if im walking him daily and letting him play outside he should get fit again. We have lots of bunnies and squirrels in our backyard that should give him playmates also so he shouldnt have to be bored.

As you can probably assume by my enthusiastic speaking of him and what im gonna do with him, my cat and him passed the test. I took the cat over in his crate, and when the cat was in crate the dog was bouncing around and yipping and wanting him to come out. Once i dumped him out (he didnt want to go) Sandy was scared to death and wanted back in, but i shut the cage door. The dog didnt want to hurt him, just sniff and play. When the cage was removed from the room and the cat had nowhere to go he warmed up to the dog, which was no longer excited and jumpy. He calmed down and explored her living room with the dog following him calmly. When the cat was put back in crate as i was getting ready ro leave the dog got sad. I put the cat on the porch in his crate so i had my hands to get paperwork from the woman, and the dog was so confused as to where the cat went. It was funny.

I think they are going to get along great! At one time the cat went back in the cage and the dog followed him in, and i was ready for the cat to smack the dog in the face for coming in his cage, but they were fine. For the first few weeks the dog will be in a nice roomy cage during the times we arent home, so there wont be any problems while we arent home if hes in the cage and the cat is free. I hope that doesnt make the dog be loud when we arent there...

EDIT: The cat is ancient and cant control his bladder sometimes anyway, so him marking wouldnt be too much of a problem, because he doesnt always make it to the litter box already now anyway.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad you're so excited to get him! He'll have a great home!

Put him on a diet...lots of exercise too. You should be able to easily feel the ribs under just a slight layer of fat. Until she hurt her leg, my Mini-D went on 5 km dog walks along with big dogs - so don't underestimate how much running around they can do.

Personally (and this is just my opinion) I'm not a fan of long-haired dogs. I think they look nice enough...but I am not into grooming - hence all our short- haired critters. So when people get a long-haired dog...and then shave it because it's too much grooming otherwise...I'm always a little flummoxed.

If you like grooming...go ahead and grow out the coat. I think a long-haired dog looks it's best with the long-hair...

BTW...if I liked grooming...I'd have an Old English Sheepdog AND an Afghan...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue
    So when people get a long-haired dog...and then shave it because it's too much grooming otherwise...I'm always a little flummoxed.

If you like grooming...go ahead and grow out the coat. I think a long-haired dog looks it's best with the long-hair...
    Exactly why im growing him out. I love grooming, and i think long haired dogs look odd with short hair on body and wierd fluffy tails usually. In the summer months i do plan to get him a puppy cut, but thats only because research (and his previous owner) says that his type of dog gets very hot and very cold easy, so he will have long hair for cold times (a sweater this year because she just got him just about shaved) and short hair for summer.

Ive decided to change his name to Padfoot, since i can change that pretty smoothly. She calls him Patty, so i can spell that Paddy and have it be short for Padfoot because im a Harry Potter buff and that would be cool to have a dog named Padfoot. My dad also came and brought me a cage today. Its 18x24" and 21" tall. Smaller than i thought. But hes only going to be in it for 5 hours 5 days a week for 2 or 3 weeks, so thats not too bad. Just until he learns my schedule so he doesnt have any accidents in the house waiting for me to come home from work.

My dad told me of a kennel he goes to that has grooming much more personal and better than the places near me, and i took my cat there for boarding once and they are a great place. So now i know what to do with him when i go on vacation this summer. He says its only like $7 a night, and check-out time is like 4pm, which gives plenty of time i think if you dont want charged for an additional night.

Here's finally a picture of a dog thats not him but its almost exactly what he looks like. He was too active to get a pic yesterday, so i googled Maltese mix and found this:

Hes just a little fatter and dirtier than this dog, and his hair at the moment is a bit shorter, but this dog is pretty close. Paddy also has straight hair, not curly. But close enough, you get the general picture now. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Exciting!

Thanks for posting the fake-Paddy picture...looking forward to seeing the real deal!!!

I hear ya about the names. We have a horse who came with the name Blaze. I don't want a horse called Blaze..but he knows his name and I didn't really want to change it...he was 13 when we got him.

So I compromised with 'Blaise'. You can pronounce that as either Blaze or Blase...we say Blase. Potato, potahto...

But I feel better 'cuz I prefer the spelling of Blaise...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So cute! I'm a fan of the smaller dogs and I have two myself - Silky terrier and Havanese. Just know that the hair on these dogs often tangles a lot, and even more so when you put sweaters and coats on them. They are tougher to groom than fur dogs, which is why they are often kept in a shorter cut. But even so, mine have quite the wardrobe for the winter months.

My experience also was that my dogs loved cat food, even more than their own. But it's not really nutritionally correct for them. So when I had my cats, I had a gate that separated them from the dogs while they were eating. I don't free feed.

Enjoy your new friend!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sandy likes Mr Paddington's food. We arent sure how to prevent the cat from eating the dog's food. But good news is they are both being friendly and acting like theyve known eachother forever! Cat isnt hiding. Here's a picture of the real Paddy sitting on his blankey on the ottoman.

10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything