· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default pros and cons of aquarium salt in fresh water

0 Not allowed!
    well i have just finally got my tank back together from losing quite a few fish and i want to know ways i can keep it clean/safe besides the obvious water changes and things because i keep up with it cuz i kno how important it is but i went on vacation for 3 weeks and had no one that could clean it for me and when i got back there was something very wrong with it but i just finally got it back to normal.. so i am looking for the goods and bads of aquarium salt in a FW tank because i heard it helps keep diseases out but i heard some fish dont like the salt... any advice will help and be appreciated
    i have 1 cory 4 dalmation mollies 3 red belly tetras, 2 platys and a african frog
    any advice about salt would help
    thanks
    20 gallon- platies, dalmation mollies, cory cats, red belly x ray tetras,gourami, african dwarf frog

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These are the only reasons to use salt in a freshwater aquarium that I know of.

1. Treating any illness or disease or parasite that can be cured by salt treatment.
    2. Preventing nitrite poisoning

Note that for each of the above it is only for a short term use, and not for everyday use.

Good article about the myths of salt in the freshwater aquarium

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/salt

Basically you don't need salt for everyday use.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 10-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Since you have tetras I will also recommend the no salt route.

From what I have read, SA tetras come from areas where there is so little salt as to be none in their water (less than is measurable in ppm). Salt can be quite toxic to them, so I avoid it at all costs.
    Why, yes, I do have a podcast that has absolutely nothing to do with fish: Rural Adventures In Creativity And Sanity
    I started an aquarium journal! It is here on AC!

0 Not allowed!
    I'd just leave the salt out, until such time as you absolutely have to use it. Salt will stress any kind of freshwater fish to some extent. Some just handle it better than others. And that's just talking about a short 7 to 10 day treatment.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    A big +1 to all of the above.

I run no salt in my FW tanks.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I pretty much agree that salt is not generally needed, except for helping cure certain ailments, or for aiding in getting rid of ich. One exception though would be African Cichlids. Many people use salt or a salt mixture to help buffer otherwise softer water.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

0 Not allowed!
    There is no reason to use salt. And you don't want your fish to become immune to salt for when you may need to use it. Plants don't appreciate salt, either.

I use salt only if I see a wound. I once had an angelfish that had a big bubble of some kind sticking out of it's gill. It was there for months no matter what I did to treat it. I added salt and the darned bubble was gone 3 days later. Still have no idea what it was.

0 Not allowed!
    In my freshwater tanks: NO salt -- ever.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Salt causes kidney failure in fresh water fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. Salt should only be used for illness and saltwater/ reef tanks.