· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I have substrate to buffer the proper ph already but my question was about adding crushed coral or something like it to my canister filter. Thank you for the link. I have not seen that one yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just add it to the substrate?

mommy1......what a cute shellie. I should do something with my 10 gallon!

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I was referring to tests for KH and GH to test the hardness of the water, not the ph and probably used the wrong word with buffer/buffering. If you already know you need substrate to help with the ph, then the tests are probably not necessary.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I've always tested for GH/KH in all my tanks because where I live the water is very alkaline and hard because of the fact of living by mountains. It only takes a few weeks to develop lyme scale here.
    I was talking about filtration and crushed coral/ adding it to my canister filter in addition to my substrate already having buffering capacity and if there are advantages/ disadvantages to doing so when you are keeping African's. I've never kept African's before so I am asking as many questions as possible because I simply do not trust a good amount of what is on the net.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 10-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I think buffers like aragonite and crushed coral dissolve at a certain pH. I use a marine buffer as I said, which I add to a 40 gallon tub of water with a powerhead and heater when doing my waterchanges. You may choose to keep your tangs at a higher pH, but I just keep mine at an 8.3 with the buffer and the aragonite sand and they do well. What sort of hardscape will you be using?
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe a few rocks and escargot snail shells most likely unless I find something better. The sand is Eco complete Cichlid mix.

0 Not allowed!
    Just picked up 6 dozen escargot snail shells on amazon. I don't think i'll be able to use them all so my friend with a reef tank said he'll be able to use what is left.

0 Not allowed!
    I only used 1 dozen in mine:p You'll get a nice filled out look with even 2 dozen. Although, I DID make 2 rock formations out of black lava rock which took up a bit of space. Look forward to seeing the pictures when completed. I've never used the eco-complete cichlid mix, but have been interested in it. Let us know how it works for you:)
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday-Picked up Eheim 2215 canister, Eheim Jager 100w tru temp heater, t5 H.E.(14Wx2) lighting fixture. Tested tap water parameters: ph-8.2, ammo-0.0, nitrite 0.0, nitrate 5.0-10.0 (hard to tell on that one.) Gh-16, Kh 10. I also have escargot shells coming and picked up two decent-sized pieces of Texas Holey rock. Cycling (fishless of course) will commence, hopefully tomorrow.