· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have substrate to buffer the proper ph already but my question was about adding crushed coral or something like it to my canister filter. Thank you for the link. I have not seen that one yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just add it to the substrate?

mommy1......what a cute shellie. I should do something with my 10 gallon!

A little further from sanity

Awards Showcase

for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 
    Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I was referring to tests for KH and GH to test the hardness of the water, not the ph and probably used the wrong word with buffer/buffering. If you already know you need substrate to help with the ph, then the tests are probably not necessary.
    People say if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all... Then they wonder why am I so quiet.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've always tested for GH/KH in all my tanks because where I live the water is very alkaline and hard because of the fact of living by mountains. It only takes a few weeks to develop lyme scale here.
    I was talking about filtration and crushed coral/ adding it to my canister filter in addition to my substrate already having buffering capacity and if there are advantages/ disadvantages to doing so when you are keeping African's. I've never kept African's before so I am asking as many questions as possible because I simply do not trust a good amount of what is on the net.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 10-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I think buffers like aragonite and crushed coral dissolve at a certain pH. I use a marine buffer as I said, which I add to a 40 gallon tub of water with a powerhead and heater when doing my waterchanges. You may choose to keep your tangs at a higher pH, but I just keep mine at an 8.3 with the buffer and the aragonite sand and they do well. What sort of hardscape will you be using?
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe a few rocks and escargot snail shells most likely unless I find something better. The sand is Eco complete Cichlid mix.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just picked up 6 dozen escargot snail shells on amazon. I don't think i'll be able to use them all so my friend with a reef tank said he'll be able to use what is left.

0 Not allowed!
    I only used 1 dozen in mine:p You'll get a nice filled out look with even 2 dozen. Although, I DID make 2 rock formations out of black lava rock which took up a bit of space. Look forward to seeing the pictures when completed. I've never used the eco-complete cichlid mix, but have been interested in it. Let us know how it works for you:)
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday-Picked up Eheim 2215 canister, Eheim Jager 100w tru temp heater, t5 H.E.(14Wx2) lighting fixture. Tested tap water parameters: ph-8.2, ammo-0.0, nitrite 0.0, nitrate 5.0-10.0 (hard to tell on that one.) Gh-16, Kh 10. I also have escargot shells coming and picked up two decent-sized pieces of Texas Holey rock. Cycling (fishless of course) will commence, hopefully tomorrow.