· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Modifying power filters to add more bio-load

0 Not allowed!
    My father recently purchased a 16 gallon Aqueon tank setup from Petco. It came with a Quietflow10. I am trying to make the most with what he's got now because he just started the hobby.

The filter claims to have a wet/dry bio filter, which is basically a plastic water diffuser. However, I've noticed that it doesn't hold much BB. I decided to do a little DIY and hung a bag of ceramic bio-media in front of the outflow to simulate a wet/dry scenario.

Here is the question. Of course I think this is a good idea, considering what little I have to work with. But I really want some opinions! Is there anything else I can do to improve the bio-load? What other mods do people do on their power filters?

(I also replaced the factory filter with just a regular filtration pad. I don't normally used carbon, but I'm in the process of clearing our the rest of the ich meds.)

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure of the benefit of having it hang like that. Maybe it's beneficial, maybe it's not. My suggestion would be to remove the "plastic water diffuser" and other things so that you're just left with an open space in the media compartment. This would allow to you to put whatever type of media you wanted, in whatever order. (for example: fine filtration first, then either more mechanical filtration with biomax at the end, or all biomax). Whatever works for you) Try to figure out how the water flows through the filter though, to avoid bypass.

BTW, I'm sure you know what i mean but by biomax i mean the ceramic rings you used in the bag.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Also, a sponge on the intake will boost the bio filtration quite a lot, if you don't have one on there already.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the replies. The reason for hanging it is because I can't have carbon(for clearing out ich meds) and Biomax in the compartment at the same time. It'll overflow and bypass. Thats why I had to resolve to hanging it.

Yes, I will attach a pre-filter sponge tomorrow. I think that is a good idea!

I really like the design of the new Fluval C series because its the only one that features a true wet/dry filtration set/up. Well, true to the extent of being in a power-filter setup.

I've started on a diy overflow and wet/dry setup using a plastic storage drawers. Similar to this

I know its a little much for a 16 gallon tank, but I think it will be good practice for my 55 gallon build.

0 Not allowed!
    The fluval c series are excellent filters and honestly they are cheap for how effective they are. Highly recommended.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.