· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Assassin Snail only tank - mites?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi am new to this forum and its the best one I could find for snails! I have a 10 gallon Assassin Snail breeding tank and have noticed some tiny dot size black insects scurrying around in the sand. Does anyone know what they are?
    I'm a bit worried as I don't know
    if they are parasites and theres baby Assassins buried in the sand also. I only feed the snails Ramshorns, theres a cuttlefish in there for calcium and live plants. Can anyone help...please??!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure that they are the baby assassin snails. Can't think of anything else.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply - they are definately not Assassin Snail babies...they move very quickly and are the wrong colour. I can only see them through a magnifying glass they are so small. They are in the sand substrate, come to the top and go under it again.

I did have some tiny white finer than cotton worm things in the tank, less than 5 cm long...I asked the guy I buy my Ramshorns from (food for the Assassins) if he knew what they were. He said he thought they were fly lavae from the cucumber/carrots I feed the Ramshorns. I'm wondering if some of these worms could have hatched into tiny flies?
    The only thing is I don't put any veg in the Assassin tank only the Ramshorn tank...so don't know how they got in there.

I don't want to strip the whole tank and sterilise the sand as there are baby Assassins in there. Any ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    Definately not assassins. But I don't know what they are! We can get many weird things in the substrate from overfeeding. I once got some kind of creepie crawler things in my shrimp tank but they didn't last long when I stopped dropping food in the tank for the shrimp. This could be something that come in from the plants, as well.

Since you have the ramshorms just for food for assassins, I see no reason for feeding them really. I think I would withhold the food and see if these things disappear.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my guess would be seed shrimp if they appear black. Cyclops usually appear a lighter color.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are they destroying anything in the tank? If not then i'll leave them be as of now until they become a problem.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.