· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I had faith that it the case. I've heard a lot of people who have glitchy little issues with the Aquaclear. I cleaned that sucker out again, rearranged the sponge and the biomax, took the extra sponge out, realligned the intake tubes. It ran great (still a little noisy) for a week and now the sponge is rising to the top again.
    I've got a big old rubber band around it now to keep the lid on.

So ... no. no more Aquaclears for me. I ordered an Aquean - biggest one they make = for my 90 for extra filtration. Will be very surprised if it doesn't run like a dream.

Thanks for weighing in
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I hear ya'. Burned one too many times.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thought I'd add my two cents, Been running the Fluval C4 series and love it. It's a updated AC and very quiet. Only problem is they make no model equal to the AC110 for the 90 unless you ran two C4's. They are very flexable with the media.

0 Not allowed!
    I too am late to the party, but maybe I can be of some assistance.

First, I never actually turn off my aquaclears when I clean the filter media and do water changes. I just make sure they are on high flow, and I never drain out more water than the length of the intake tube. This has saved me the prime issue, and it works actually rather well. I am careful to put the media basket back in slowly, so I don't overflow.

The rattling I've found is caused by one of three issues. Either the flow is turned too far to the left or right, and the intake tube is hitting the top, The back underside wheel to keep it level is not actually level, or, the filter media basket is too full. In my case, all rattling stopped by making sure these three things weren't going on.

The snail. In the future, if your snail seems "stuck up" the intake tube, it isn't. I made this mistake too, and wounded my snail (which died days later) by pulling him out. They are actually stretching inside to get tasty bits inside the filter intake. Just make sure if you see a snail like that, turn the filter flow down low, and leave the snail alone, he'll come out when he's done with his snack. My other snail Shelby did this same thing, I left her alone, and she was just fine, coming out when she'd cleaned the tube of any tasty bits.

The "pop up" of the filter media is from back flow pressure. That usually happens if the basket is overfilled. Just one bio block sponge and the biomax is enough. I've had this happen trying to cram in the charcoal bag with those two media, and it just compacts too tight. If the water flow gets restricted, it acts like a piston.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari

First, I never actually turn off my aquaclears when I clean the filter media and do water changes.
    Hi - thanks for weighing in. Curious as to how you clean the impeller if you don't drain the water.
    I just make sure they are on high flow, and I never drain out more water than the length of the intake tube.
    Possibly I exchange more water than you do as my tank water level always goes below the intake tube. This has saved me the prime issue, and it works actually rather well. I am careful to put the media basket back in slowly, so I don't overflow.

The rattling I've found is caused by one of three issues. Either the flow is turned too far to the left or right, and the intake tube is hitting the top, The back underside wheel to keep it level is not actually level, or, the filter media basket is too full. In my case, all rattling stopped by making sure these three things weren't going on.
    I've corrected all of those issues and it is running a little quieter. thanks

The snail. In the future, if your snail seems "stuck up" the intake tube, it isn't. I made this mistake too, and wounded my snail (which died days later) by pulling him out.
    In my case, I got up one morning and found parts of the snail floating in the water, the rest of him wedged in the thin slats of the tube. He was good and dead and in pieces. I won't take that a chance again

The "pop up" of the filter media is from back flow pressure. That usually happens if the basket is overfilled. Just one bio block sponge and the biomax is enough. I've had this happen trying to cram in the charcoal bag with those two media, and it just compacts too tight. If the water flow gets restricted, it acts like a piston.
    I removed all extra media right after someone suggested it when I started this thread. So there's nothing in there but the sponge and the biomax. It's whistle clean and it STILL rises up and lifts the lid several inches. I have solved that by using a heavy duty rubber band to keep the lid on.
    I think I just got a bad filter - mechanically speaking. Will not complain about the water quality - but then I also have an aquean hob on this tank too.
    thanks again
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Eew....... oh sorry about your snail. Misunderstood what you were saying there.

Yeah, probably a lemon of a filter though, as I said I'm a little late on the uptake of this post.

I never clean the impellers, well, as long as they are running that is lol. I haven't had a filter yet stop or break down. I have the extension tubes on my filter intakes so they go way down to the near bottom of the tank, that's likely why I can get away with not turning them off. I just got sick of trying to prime the filters when I have more than one going at a time LOL.

Lazy I know, but hey, it works.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari
    Eew....... oh sorry about your snail. Misunderstood what you were saying there.
    Yeah - it was pretty nasty. I felt horrible.

Yeah, probably a lemon of a filter though, as I said I'm a little late on the uptake of this post.

I never clean the impellers, well, as long as they are running that is lol. I haven't had a filter yet stop or break down.
    And yet, I've had to take my impeller out several times and clean it because it quit running.
    Like you said ... lemon.

But wouldn't you know it - I opted for another Aquean as a supplimental filter for my 90. Got it up and running today. TWICE as loud as the Aquaclear. I can't win, it seems. Oh well.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Like you said ... lemon.

But wouldn't you know it - I opted for another Aquean as a supplimental filter for my 90. Got it up and running today. TWICE as loud as the Aquaclear. I can't win, it seems. Oh well.
    lol, I'm sorry FM... you can't catch a break.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    lol, I'm sorry FM... you can't catch a break.
    So it would seem

0 Not allowed!
    The filter basket and the media as you have it set up should not rise up enough to lift the lid. Something is still not right there, but I can't figure it out...give me time.

The worst case is with the carbon insert in place, though. But that should only cause by pass flow around the media and back into the tank without water going through the media.....

Makes me go mmmmmmmmmm......

What happens when you pull the media and the basket out of the filter all together? Does water flow in through the intake tube, into the media chamber, and out over the overflow into the
    tank?

Make sure that the plate that the intake tube rests on is not in backwards. The slot for the bottom of the intake tube should run down from right to left as your looking at the tank. Shot in the dark, I know but......

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    I removed all extra media right after someone suggested it when I started this thread. So there's nothing in there but the sponge and the biomax. It's whistle clean and it STILL rises up and lifts the lid several inches. I have solved that by using a heavy duty rubber band to keep the lid on.
    I think I just got a bad filter - mechanically speaking. Will not complain about the water quality - but then I also have an aquean hob on this tank too.
    thanks again
    Last edited by Taurus; 10-18-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"