Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Okay. went back to the filter and the basket had popped up again. Here's what I did.
    First I removed the tube and reseated. Didn't seem to make a difference and the basket popped up again.
    So for the heck of it I moved the bio balls to the bottom of the basket and put the sponge on top. As of now, it seems to have solved the problem. The basket is staying put, the water flow is much better (hadn't even realized that had become an issue until I saw how much better the flow is now) and the noise is significantly less.
    Could it be that simple? And will the filtration be as effective with the media positions reversed?
    Again thanks. I really appreciate the speedy responses!
    Hummm......The biomax should be on top to help hold the sponge down but also it should be where the water is the cleanest. But, you have to do what you have to do, I guess, to get this working for you.

    I am using a canister filter in additon so I clean my sponge under the kitchen sink. A lot of crap is in those sponges and it just sounds to me as it isn't allowing the water to flow thru it.

    Another thing I do when I am running my vac gravel is stick it right in the filter box and suck up the crap in the bottom of the filter and the %$@(*& snails that get in it.

    Probably will not make any difference but it might be something you may want to try incase the box has got a bunch of crap in the bottom of it.

  2. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I also have an aqueon and think they are fine. Every bit as good as the Penguin or Emperor, IMO. But like all my filters, I do not use cartridges but use foam in them and biomax and fill them all just like the Aqua Clear is filled. (I refuse to buy cartridges.)
    You gave me that nugget of info pretty early on when I first started. I do exactly the same thing ... use foam and bio balls. And I'm glad to hear you like your aquean because I think that's what I'm going to get for the 90 as a back up filter. Too much fussing with this Aquaclear

    But I just remembered going to my sons house one day and he had a big rock sitting on this Aqua Clear lid. I asked him what's up with the rock and how long is it since he cleaned his darned filter. He says......"The last time you were here". That had been 6 months!

    gez
    LOL. That's a kid for you.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Hummm......The biomax should be on top to help hold the sponge down but also it should be where the water is the cleanest. But, you have to do what you have to do, I guess, to get this working for you.

    I am using a canister filter in additon so I clean my sponge under the kitchen sink. A lot of crap is in those sponges and it just sounds to me as it isn't allowing the water to flow thru it.

    Another thing I do when I am running my vac gravel is stick it right in the filter box and suck up the crap in the bottom of the filter and the %$@(*& snails that get in it.

    Probably will not make any difference but it might be something you may want to try incase the box has got a bunch of crap in the bottom of it.
    All good to know. Thanks.
    My first experience with a canister is my 90. It's been running with fish since 9-16. I'm really dreading the first time I clean it ... all new to me. Afraid I'll screw something up. Oh well. it's a learning process and I never DREAMED there'd be so much to learn about fish keeping. I'm enjoying it though ... despite a few little set backs and am SOO glad I found this forum. Hard telling how many dead fish I'd have by now if I hadn't.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  4. #14

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I always make sure the media basket is sitting all the way down inside the filter box and snug against the bottom of it. I make sure the sponge is sitting completely flat inside the basket, with all sides and the bottom flush against it. If there are any gaps between the sponge and the filter box, it could rise up out of there, especially if water gets into an opening underneath it.

    Another important precaution: Make sure no part of the media is blocking the vent holes in the wall on the impeller side. The biomax bag comes with a plastic locking mechanism, and I always place that on the side AWAY from those vents, and I cut down the leftover mesh that sticks out from the lock so that which remains isn't enough to block anything.

    Water has to flow freely through all of the media. If there is anything blocking it, it might push your media -- and its basket -- out of place. Blockages can also cause water to mount up and overflow the top of the filter as it pushes the lid off.

    I may be fussier than some, but I want everything completely secure and locked into place where it can't be dislodged.

    I've never had this push-up problem with my ACs, but have read of it happening, so I'm particularly cautious about trying to prevent it.

    -- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Really appreciate all this great info. Going to go check the vents right now. Again - thanks all!

    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    I always make sure the media basket is sitting all the way down inside the filter box and snug against the bottom of it. I make sure the sponge is sitting completely flat inside the basket, with all sides and the bottom flush against it. If there are any gaps between the sponge and the filter box, it could rise up out of there, especially if water gets into an opening underneath it.

    Another important precaution: Make sure no part of the media is blocking the vent holes in the wall on the impeller side. The biomax bag comes with a plastic locking mechanism, and I always place that on the side AWAY from those vents, and I cut down the leftover mesh that sticks out from the lock so that which remains isn't enough to block anything.

    Water has to flow freely through all of the media. If there is anything blocking it, it might push your media -- and its basket -- out of place. Blockages can also cause water to mount up and overflow the top of the filter as it pushes the lid off.

    I may be fussier than some, but I want everything completely secure and locked into place where it can't be dislodged.

    I've never had this push-up problem with my ACs, but have read of it happening, so I'm particularly cautious about trying to prevent it.

    -- mermaid
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  6. #16

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie


    Yeah - that's what is seems like to me. That it should lock down but it doesn't. I've got it full with the foam block and a bag of [B]bio balls and another more porous foam on top. Maybe I should switch the finer foam to the top and the one with the bigger holes to the bottom?

    You mentioned bio balls? Do you mean the ceramic bio max that comes with an aquaclear filter? Or did you replace the biomax with plastic bio balls? Just curious.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

    "This ain't rocket science!"

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    You mentioned bio balls? Do you mean the ceramic bio max that comes with an aquaclear filter? Or did you replace the biomax with plastic bio balls? Just curious.
    sorry - no. I'm using the ones that came with the filter. They're ceramic bio max. There are so many terms >>>>>
    AND BTW, I moved things around in the filter box again. sponge is back on the bottom and biomax on top away from the vent. It's working fine now but it's still a noisy, annoying filter. Just ordered an Aquean for extra filtration for the 90. I don't think I will ever be an Auqaclear fan - at least based on my experience with this particular filter.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-06-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  8. #18

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I once had to return an AC50 because it made to much noise. I just exchanged it for another new AC50 and that one has worked fine ever since. One thing I hate is a noisy filter.

    I've swapped out the biomax that came with the AC50 for Fluval Biomax meant for canisters. It's larger and has a solid hole down through the middle of the cylinder and works great.

    You should be able to modify an Aqueon filter to accept foam and ceramic cylinders.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

    "This ain't rocket science!"

  9. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    I once had to return an AC50 because it made to much noise. I just exchanged it for another new AC50 and that one has worked fine ever since. One thing I hate is a noisy filter.
    Have heard this from so many since I've had mine. Seems to be a trait.

    I've swapped out the biomax that came with the AC50 for Fluval Biomax meant for canisters. It's larger and has a solid hole down through the middle of the cylinder and works great.

    You should be able to modify an Aqueon filter to accept foam and ceramic cylinders.
    That's what I was hoping I could do. thanks
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  10. #20

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A little late to the party, but thought I'd throw in:

    I have an AC20 on my 10gal and another AC20 on my 10gal QT. I'm going to swap out my display AC20 for the QT, because the QT is silent as a ninja, but my display is making the same pita rattling noise as yours, FM. I think there are just defective filters, just like anything else. If you take it back and replace it with another, I bet you'd get a silent one. ;]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

    When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

    Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •