· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Question more aquaclear 'issues'

0 Not allowed!
    I REALLY want to like this aquaclear50 filter on my 30 gal because everyone here seems to but I continue to have issues with it.
    I've gotten used to the constant low level rattle - don't like it but have gotten used to it. I've figured out that the reason it won't start after a W/C is that sometimes the impeller gets gunked up. okay fine. I can deal with that.

But ... the filter has this infuriating habit of burping up the entire basked full of media. Sometimes, I get up in the morning and the lid of the filter will have elevated 2 inches above the base. The basket holding the filter foam and bio balls just slides up out of the filter box - like the sponge can't say sunk any more. This happens once or twice a week.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to stop it from happening?

And did I get a lemon of a filter or is this status quo? I want to purchase HOB for an additional filter for my 90 and am not convinced the aquaclear is the way to go.

Thanks and any solution suggestions are appreciated!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 of them on my 36 and I've never had any problems with either one. You made have gotten a bad one.

0 Not allowed!
    The frame the foam sits in is supposed to lock down a bit so it doesn't raise up like that. I once crammed mine full of filter floss and of course it got water soaked and did that but using the foam block and biomax it doesn't.

Could it possibly be dirty on the bottom plugging it up so the water is not going through the foam? I would not be able to tolerate the rattling. I can understand how annoying that must be.

Did you install the top piece in place and after it was in position, add the strainer end? I can't get mind in position and seeded down without removing the strainer piece first. The seam where the two tubes come together is too thick to go into the grove as it should.

My only other idea is to buy another one, put this one in the box and use the receipt and return the first one. Keep the foam and bio-max from the first filter.

PS......They must be totally full of water to restart after a water change. I fill mine right to the top.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    This only happens with my AC filters when I forget to clean them, which doesn't happen often, but I am only human and do forget once in a while. Since you said the impeller gets gunky, this might be your problem as well. How often do you rinse the sponge in tank water? Usually once every other week to every three weeks is enough, but you may need to do it more often.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    This only happens with my AC filters when I forget to clean them, which doesn't happen often, but I am only human and do forget once in a while. Since you said the impeller gets gunky, this might be your problem as well. How often do you rinse the sponge in tank water? Usually once every other week to every three weeks is enough, but you may need to do it more often.
    I hear you. And initially, it did go a long time without its first cleaning but that was because I was in a long drawn out fish in cycle (all problems I created myself :o() and was afraid to touch it.

Since then, I rinse the media in tank water every other week and clean the filter monthly. I just cleaned this filter thoroughly last week. Just did a W/C this morning ... and hail the rising basket. Again. After a couple of pop ups this past week
    So - I don't think that this current issue is lack of cleanings

Quote: Lady Hobbs: The frame the foam sits in is supposed to lock down a bit so it doesn't raise up like that. I once crammed mine full of filter floss and of course it got water soaked and did that but using the foam block and biomax it doesn't.
    Yeah - that's what is seems like to me. That it should lock down but it doesn't. I've got it full with the foam block and a bag of bio balls and another more porous foam on top. Maybe I should switch the finer foam to the top and the one with the bigger holes to the bottom?

Could it possibly be dirty on the bottom plugging it up so the water is not going through the foam? I would not be able to tolerate the rattling. I can understand how annoying that must be.

No. I checked and it's not dirty. I'm wondering, after one of my snails got caught in the suction in the intake tube and shredded (the long tube that has long, slitted openings on the tip) I had to put some sponge over the slits to avoid another dead snail. Could that be obstructing the suction enough to cause something like this to happen???

Did you install the top piece in place and after it was in position, add the strainer end? I can't get mine in position and seeded down without removing the strainer piece first. The seam where the two tubes come together is too thick to go into the grove as it should.
    I'm not sure I'm following. Are you referring to tube I was talking about above? If so, then no. I have the entire filter assembled and loaded THEN put it all in place.

My only other idea is to buy another one, put this one in the box and use the receipt and return the first one. Keep the foam and bio-max from the first filter.
    Sneaky. I like it

PS......They must be totally full of water to restart after a water change. I fill mine right to the top.
    Yes - I always have to prime mine ... which is another thing I don't like. My aquean - which is also on this tank, runs like silk. Doesn't make a noise. doesn't have to be primed. Never gives me any problems. But, I'm uncertain of how good of a job of filtration it's doing ... that's why I added the AQ.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    I would try to remove that additional foam you added. I run mine just as they come (without the charocal.) I also run two filters so see no reason to add more than is recommended.

Just for fun, try to pull the stem tube off, get the first tube seeded down and then add the second tube. Your filter sounds to me as it is sucking up air which causes a vibration. Also, make sure no bubblers or airstones are near the tube.

The frame the foam sits in does not exactly lock down but it has groves to hold it in place. It may just be too crammed full of media?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie

Yeah - that's what is seems like to me. That it should lock down but it doesn't. I've got it full with the foam block and a bag of [B]bio balls and another more porous foam on top. Maybe I should switch the finer foam to the top and the one with the bigger holes to the bottom?

You mentioned bio balls? Do you mean the ceramic bio max that comes with an aquaclear filter? Or did you replace the biomax with plastic bio balls? Just curious.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thought I'd add my two cents, Been running the Fluval C4 series and love it. It's a updated AC and very quiet. Only problem is they make no model equal to the AC110 for the 90 unless you ran two C4's. They are very flexable with the media.

0 Not allowed!
    I too am late to the party, but maybe I can be of some assistance.

First, I never actually turn off my aquaclears when I clean the filter media and do water changes. I just make sure they are on high flow, and I never drain out more water than the length of the intake tube. This has saved me the prime issue, and it works actually rather well. I am careful to put the media basket back in slowly, so I don't overflow.

The rattling I've found is caused by one of three issues. Either the flow is turned too far to the left or right, and the intake tube is hitting the top, The back underside wheel to keep it level is not actually level, or, the filter media basket is too full. In my case, all rattling stopped by making sure these three things weren't going on.

The snail. In the future, if your snail seems "stuck up" the intake tube, it isn't. I made this mistake too, and wounded my snail (which died days later) by pulling him out. They are actually stretching inside to get tasty bits inside the filter intake. Just make sure if you see a snail like that, turn the filter flow down low, and leave the snail alone, he'll come out when he's done with his snack. My other snail Shelby did this same thing, I left her alone, and she was just fine, coming out when she'd cleaned the tube of any tasty bits.

The "pop up" of the filter media is from back flow pressure. That usually happens if the basket is overfilled. Just one bio block sponge and the biomax is enough. I've had this happen trying to cram in the charcoal bag with those two media, and it just compacts too tight. If the water flow gets restricted, it acts like a piston.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari

First, I never actually turn off my aquaclears when I clean the filter media and do water changes.
    Hi - thanks for weighing in. Curious as to how you clean the impeller if you don't drain the water.
    I just make sure they are on high flow, and I never drain out more water than the length of the intake tube.
    Possibly I exchange more water than you do as my tank water level always goes below the intake tube. This has saved me the prime issue, and it works actually rather well. I am careful to put the media basket back in slowly, so I don't overflow.

The rattling I've found is caused by one of three issues. Either the flow is turned too far to the left or right, and the intake tube is hitting the top, The back underside wheel to keep it level is not actually level, or, the filter media basket is too full. In my case, all rattling stopped by making sure these three things weren't going on.
    I've corrected all of those issues and it is running a little quieter. thanks

The snail. In the future, if your snail seems "stuck up" the intake tube, it isn't. I made this mistake too, and wounded my snail (which died days later) by pulling him out.
    In my case, I got up one morning and found parts of the snail floating in the water, the rest of him wedged in the thin slats of the tube. He was good and dead and in pieces. I won't take that a chance again

The "pop up" of the filter media is from back flow pressure. That usually happens if the basket is overfilled. Just one bio block sponge and the biomax is enough. I've had this happen trying to cram in the charcoal bag with those two media, and it just compacts too tight. If the water flow gets restricted, it acts like a piston.
    I removed all extra media right after someone suggested it when I started this thread. So there's nothing in there but the sponge and the biomax. It's whistle clean and it STILL rises up and lifts the lid several inches. I have solved that by using a heavy duty rubber band to keep the lid on.
    I think I just got a bad filter - mechanically speaking. Will not complain about the water quality - but then I also have an aquean hob on this tank too.
    thanks again