· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Question more aquaclear 'issues'

0 Not allowed!
    I REALLY want to like this aquaclear50 filter on my 30 gal because everyone here seems to but I continue to have issues with it.
    I've gotten used to the constant low level rattle - don't like it but have gotten used to it. I've figured out that the reason it won't start after a W/C is that sometimes the impeller gets gunked up. okay fine. I can deal with that.

But ... the filter has this infuriating habit of burping up the entire basked full of media. Sometimes, I get up in the morning and the lid of the filter will have elevated 2 inches above the base. The basket holding the filter foam and bio balls just slides up out of the filter box - like the sponge can't say sunk any more. This happens once or twice a week.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to stop it from happening?

And did I get a lemon of a filter or is this status quo? I want to purchase HOB for an additional filter for my 90 and am not convinced the aquaclear is the way to go.

Thanks and any solution suggestions are appreciated!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 of them on my 36 and I've never had any problems with either one. You made have gotten a bad one.

0 Not allowed!
    The frame the foam sits in is supposed to lock down a bit so it doesn't raise up like that. I once crammed mine full of filter floss and of course it got water soaked and did that but using the foam block and biomax it doesn't.

Could it possibly be dirty on the bottom plugging it up so the water is not going through the foam? I would not be able to tolerate the rattling. I can understand how annoying that must be.

Did you install the top piece in place and after it was in position, add the strainer end? I can't get mind in position and seeded down without removing the strainer piece first. The seam where the two tubes come together is too thick to go into the grove as it should.

My only other idea is to buy another one, put this one in the box and use the receipt and return the first one. Keep the foam and bio-max from the first filter.

PS......They must be totally full of water to restart after a water change. I fill mine right to the top.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    This only happens with my AC filters when I forget to clean them, which doesn't happen often, but I am only human and do forget once in a while. Since you said the impeller gets gunky, this might be your problem as well. How often do you rinse the sponge in tank water? Usually once every other week to every three weeks is enough, but you may need to do it more often.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    This only happens with my AC filters when I forget to clean them, which doesn't happen often, but I am only human and do forget once in a while. Since you said the impeller gets gunky, this might be your problem as well. How often do you rinse the sponge in tank water? Usually once every other week to every three weeks is enough, but you may need to do it more often.
    I hear you. And initially, it did go a long time without its first cleaning but that was because I was in a long drawn out fish in cycle (all problems I created myself :o() and was afraid to touch it.

Since then, I rinse the media in tank water every other week and clean the filter monthly. I just cleaned this filter thoroughly last week. Just did a W/C this morning ... and hail the rising basket. Again. After a couple of pop ups this past week
    So - I don't think that this current issue is lack of cleanings

Quote: Lady Hobbs: The frame the foam sits in is supposed to lock down a bit so it doesn't raise up like that. I once crammed mine full of filter floss and of course it got water soaked and did that but using the foam block and biomax it doesn't.
    Yeah - that's what is seems like to me. That it should lock down but it doesn't. I've got it full with the foam block and a bag of bio balls and another more porous foam on top. Maybe I should switch the finer foam to the top and the one with the bigger holes to the bottom?

Could it possibly be dirty on the bottom plugging it up so the water is not going through the foam? I would not be able to tolerate the rattling. I can understand how annoying that must be.

No. I checked and it's not dirty. I'm wondering, after one of my snails got caught in the suction in the intake tube and shredded (the long tube that has long, slitted openings on the tip) I had to put some sponge over the slits to avoid another dead snail. Could that be obstructing the suction enough to cause something like this to happen???

Did you install the top piece in place and after it was in position, add the strainer end? I can't get mine in position and seeded down without removing the strainer piece first. The seam where the two tubes come together is too thick to go into the grove as it should.
    I'm not sure I'm following. Are you referring to tube I was talking about above? If so, then no. I have the entire filter assembled and loaded THEN put it all in place.

My only other idea is to buy another one, put this one in the box and use the receipt and return the first one. Keep the foam and bio-max from the first filter.
    Sneaky. I like it

PS......They must be totally full of water to restart after a water change. I fill mine right to the top.
    Yes - I always have to prime mine ... which is another thing I don't like. My aquean - which is also on this tank, runs like silk. Doesn't make a noise. doesn't have to be primed. Never gives me any problems. But, I'm uncertain of how good of a job of filtration it's doing ... that's why I added the AQ.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    I would try to remove that additional foam you added. I run mine just as they come (without the charocal.) I also run two filters so see no reason to add more than is recommended.

Just for fun, try to pull the stem tube off, get the first tube seeded down and then add the second tube. Your filter sounds to me as it is sucking up air which causes a vibration. Also, make sure no bubblers or airstones are near the tube.

The frame the foam sits in does not exactly lock down but it has groves to hold it in place. It may just be too crammed full of media?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I would try to remove that additional foam you added. I run mine just as they come (without the charocal.) I also run two filters so see no reason to add more than is recommended.

Just for fun, try to pull the stem tube off, get the first tube seeded down and then add the second tube. Your filter sounds to me as it is sucking up air which causes a vibration. Also, make sure no bubblers or airstones are near the tube.

The frame the foam sits in does not exactly lock down but it has groves to hold it in place. It may just be too crammed full of media?
    Ah - the additional filter I'm considering is not for the 30. It's for my 90. figured I could always use extra filtration on that.

And I'm going to remove the extra foam right now. Although I hate to lose the seeded material. Might see if I can stuff it in another filter.
    Will also do what you suggest about the tube. Question ... and I hope it's not too stupid ... but would you do this with the filter running or shut down?l

0 Not allowed!
    You don't have to shut it down. Just pull the stem off, lift the main tube up and put it back in place and then add the stem piece again.

The foam block that comes with those filters and the biomax is plenty of media for a 30 gallon.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    You don't have to shut it down. Just pull the stem off, lift the main tube up and put it back in place and then add the stem piece again.

The foam block that comes with those filters and the biomax is plenty of media for a 30 gallon.
    Okay. went back to the filter and the basket had popped up again. Here's what I did.
    First I removed the tube and reseated. Didn't seem to make a difference and the basket popped up again.
    So for the heck of it I moved the bio balls to the bottom of the basket and put the sponge on top. As of now, it seems to have solved the problem. The basket is staying put, the water flow is much better (hadn't even realized that had become an issue until I saw how much better the flow is now) and the noise is significantly less.
    Could it be that simple? And will the filtration be as effective with the media positions reversed?
    Again thanks. I really appreciate the speedy responses!

0 Not allowed!
    I also have an aqueon and think they are fine. Every bit as good as the Penguin or Emperor, IMO. But like all my filters, I do not use cartridges but use foam in them and biomax and fill them all just like the Aqua Clear is filled. (I refuse to buy cartridges.)

But I just remembered going to my sons house one day and he had a big rock sitting on this Aqua Clear lid. I asked him what's up with the rock and how long is it since he cleaned his darned filter. He says......"The last time you were here". That had been 6 months!

gez