· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Upgrading to 75gal for my birthday

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all.

I am very excited, since I will be receiving a very nice 75gal for my birthday, instead of having to say goodbye to my fishy friends in my 55gal freshwater.

So, My mum has put a deposit on a 75gal acrylic tank with many accessories.
    Having an extra 6" of space is pretty much opening a whole new world of possibilities of inhabitants I can house in this puppy.

I will be making this a FOWLR setup.

Equipment:

25kgs(60lbs) of live rock.
    20kgs(48lbs) of crushed coral sand.
    Not sure about what I should use for a protein skimmer. Any recommendations?
    90w total of light power. 2 10000k white bulbs and 1 20000k actinic/blue.

Stocking:

I was thinking something like this, but I am open to all suggestions and criticism.

1x Snowflake moray eel
    2x Antennata lionfish
    2x Maroon clowns
    1x flame angel
    Either 1x kole yellow eye tang, or 1x pinkface wrasse.

Will have a rather regular water change schedule for a marine tank; 10% weekly.

If you have any advice, recommendations, constructive criticism, or just comments, or suggestions, I would be happy to hear it and consider it.

Thankyou ~Chris
    "when i fish jumps out of the water just to bite you, they do not like you" - Unknown

marine or freshwater? marine! Freshwater! marine! freshwater! "why cant we do both?"...

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you using a sump? If you are, I can highly recommend the Reef Octopus Diablo XS160 skimmer; I have one on a 120g FOWLR, and it's a skimming monster. Really well put together, works excellent, and not terribly expensive either.

*edit* Also, happy pre-emptive birthday!
    Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
    -Mark Twain

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry scuff I don't have a sump. I have an all in one filtering system that sits on the top of the tank, not actually sure what type of skimmer I need.
    "when i fish jumps out of the water just to bite you, they do not like you" - Unknown

marine or freshwater? marine! Freshwater! marine! freshwater! "why cant we do both?"...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a link to some place that has photos of the tank and filtration system for us to look at? That might help in recommending a skimmer that'll fit.
    Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
    -Mark Twain

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, sorry. But next weekend I will be able to take a pic. Because I still dot have the tank yet and I am picking it up next Saturday

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhouri1610
    Hi all.
    I will be making this a FOWLR setup.

Not sure about what I should use for a protein skimmer. Any recommendations?

90w total of light power. 2 10000k white bulbs and 1 20000k actinic/blue.
    If you are looking for a HOB skimmer, then I would recommend a Aqua-C ramora skimmer. I have one and it works great.

As for your lighting, actinic and blue (or super blue) bulbs are two completely different bulbs. Actinic provides very little usable light for algae and corals but will really help to bring out the colors of you fish. Blue bulbs (in the 20,000 to 22,000K range) are great for corals but can also help grow algae. I would suggest you go with one fiji purple and one actinic bulb. That will bring out the colors of your fish and provide you with the least amount of usaable light for nasty algae growth

If you are using live rock for your filtration, I would not suggest using any other forms of biological filtration. That will most likely cause more problems down the road than it's worth.

As for your stock list, I would suggest you give the below link a read

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...-crew-options/
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I might be able to describe it though. It covers the whole length of the tank and is around 15-20cm wide(6-8") maybe 10cm(4") in height. If that helps at all.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link cliff. Useful info.

Just wondering if the tank is overstocked or not?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhouri1610
    Just wondering if the tank is overstocked or not?

Based on your other threads about stocking a 55 gallon tank, I would suggest further reseach into your stocking list for this one in much much more detial and do not get in a hurry to stock this tank.

There are risks to you stocking list you need to be ready for
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    True that. I will dig around on the net. See what I can find.

I just have no idea on what type of skimmer to use for my all in one filter unit. Can you give me any advice there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast