· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Well, it's happened. Officially lost the battle with my aquatic addiction.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I finally did it. Made the jump to marine.

Picked up a 120g today and bought 2 aqueon 250s to heat it, and an aqua-c Remora Pro for the skimmer.

The tank came with a fluval405 but I decided that was too under powered for it, so I decided to move the fluval to my new 55g since it needed a new filter anyway, and just go for a marine conversion on this new 120g.

The one big problem that left me with was the tank isnt drilled, doesnt have an integrated sump, and the stand doesn't have a lot of room for one either. But I think with the kind of system I want to run eventually it will work if I can get it to be ok until it's complete. I just have to build slow.

Going tomorrow after its set up to look at options for a small overflow that will fit in the stand cabinents possibly, and bought a pump to use as a return so I can set up another tank next to it (either a 40g breeder, or 2 20g cubes) as a Refugium. A friend of mine that owns one of the LFS in town is going to help me look at possibly modifying the stand or finding something that will fit in it.

Gonna go pick up the LR as soon as I've got it set up, hopefully tomorrow or early this next week. Cheapest I've been able to find it here is $4.75/lb. Going with 100lb for starters and gonna see how that suites me before deciding if I need more. It's gonna hurt the pocket book but it's worth it, and some places have it as high as $9/lb so at least it's a little better.

Deff gonna need to upgrade the lighting but I'm still arguing with myself about whether I'm going to just get an ugly multi-t5 workhorse, or of I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger to invest in an LED system. It's a tough decision in my head between me and me, and I'm loosing...

Snagged a couple of those hydror propeller powerheads so that later down the line I can upgrade to a control box if I decide I want to.

Just gonna start simple with a FOWLR for now since stock is going to be slow coming and my light isnt ready for anything crazy in the fuge yet, but trying to make sure I leave myself plenty of room to upgrade later when I'm ready to try anemone and high req coral.

All in all I burned through about $800 today which was more than I had planned, and there's still some important parts of the puzzle to get. Still not bad for an almost full conversion to marine. Plus I get to go fun with a larger tank for my first marine instead of a nanoreef, so that's nice.

I'll start a journal tomorrow when I actually start opening boxes and setting everything up. Now I just gotta go see if my tiny 5ft wife and I can get the tank unloaded and into the house by ourselves. Wish us luck? Lol.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

0 Not allowed!
    I would say welcome to the dark side, but that just doesn’t do justice to reef lighting requirements.

Good call not using the canister filter. I think your going too really like that aqua-C skimmer. I have the nano version of that same skimmer and I love it.

You could use about 25 to 30 lbs of live rock and 70 to 75lbs of dry/dead rock if money is an issue. That will save you a lot of $$$$ and still give you very good filtration right from the start provide you don’t stock the tank really fast.

I personally would not even worry about lighting until you have made up your mind if you want to keep if FOWLR, or go reef, and/or what type of reef you want. Each have slightly different lighting requirements. For now, you could just use any old light fixture with actinic bulbs provided it will only be a FOWLR set-up.

Only two powerheads does sounds a little like low flow. I would recommend have anywheres from 30 to 50 Xs flow in your tank (depending on what type of set-up you want)

I’m looking forward to your journal.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks very much for the info cliff. I really appreciate it.

That is good to know about the base rock. I was misunderstanding how the base rock worked, and didn't realize if i stocked slow i could spread the bacterial colony with less live rock. That should seriously help.

Those two PowHds aren't enough eh? How many would you suggest I use? I was afraid of creating a vortex in my tank. They are each 425gph. I know i want a turnover of as much as possible when dealing with the skimmer and refugium, but didn't think the powerheads needed to be a large part of that. At 425gph each I would need somewhere around 11 of those to achieve 40x turnover. (120g * 40 = 4800gph / 425gph per PH = 11.29) That sound about right to you? I assume that means I just need to get some of the larger powerheads than the ones I went with.

As far as placement what do you think I should look at doing? I know I need to avoid dead spots at all cost but I have heard some suggest placing the powerheads directly at each other at an angle so they meet near the top and cause chop, kind of like an upside down V. Supposedly this creates extra surface agitation and creates strange eddies and things in the water flow that the fish are supposed to like. Or would it be better to have them all blowing in one direction so the water is circulating around the walls of the tank?

Good call on the lighting. I just plan to throw an actinic bulb in the ballast that came with the tank for now until I decide. I think i might go with smaller cheaper LED systems on the two refugiums since they are smaller, and they keep a workhorse t5 on the main tank.

We weren't able to get the tank out of the van by ourselves so I'm on a mission today to find a friend that will help. Lol. I'm getting a little impatient. Thanks again for the info.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So clear something up for me.

How important is it if I plan to eventually do some reef stuff to buy all of the live rock to begin with? Because I was just reading on the cycling sticky and it mentioned that if you only buy partial live rock with a dry rock mix in the beginning you won't get all of the beneficial organisms.

Will I never be able to build up the variety of organisms that I would have if I started with 100% pre cultured rock? Or will it just take more time to get the rock to that living state?

Since I plan to eventually upgrade the system I don't want to limit myself right from the get go. I don't mind added time or work as that is all part of the learning experience for me, as long as I have the option when I want to execute it.

0 Not allowed!
    You will get and grow the BB that you need using 25% to 30% live rock assuming you stock slowly (one or two fish every 3 or 4 weeks). No matter if it is a reef tank or FOWLR, it will work just as well for both

What you may not get is a lot of "hitch hikers". These can be good hitch hikers like pods, bristol worms, and coraline to name three examples. But with the good be prepaired to get the bad as well, like: red crabs, parasites, and flat worms just to name three of them. None of these hitch hikers will help you keep corals, but some will harm corals.

I will never add any rock to any of my tanks that I have not cleaned all life from, recured it, and re cycled it. I've had to deal with bad hitch hikers before and I do not want to deal with anything like that again. But that is just my preferance. I make sure there are no hitch hikers what so ever in my tank. I'm just not comfortable with that amount of risk, but I am also a little extreme on this topic

As for the flow, you could add two addtional power heads in the 1100 gph range. with the four power heads, you could try it and see how it goes. If that still leave too many dead spots, you could always add a wave box later on. The below might help a little as well

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...nd-movement-2/

I hope this helps
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you cliff. That clears things up quite a bit.

If down the line say I were to decide that a certain type of beneficial creature that is usually a hitchhiker is something that I want to colonize, are there ways to do that?

For instance I know that there are things I can buy to introduce Copepods for dragonets and such, like types of algae that commonly house them. Is there an equivalant for other organisms as well?

Say I was to decide that I wanted to introduce coralline or Bristol worms, are they common to find?

0 Not allowed!
    Coraline, like any other algae, will happen in your tank reguardless of what you do. Your bristol worms will come with time as well, a lot like planaria can in FW tanks.

You can buy cultures of live aqua-cultured phytoplanktonand and pods to introduce to your tank once it has stablized.

You just have to weight all the risks and do what you are comfortable with

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool that sounds good. Like I said the added work and time of culturing those critters later is something I see as fun, especially being able to do it on a case by case basis, as long as I still have the option down the road.

As far as the risk of negative critters I am totally on your side of the proverbial cautionary fence. It sounds well worth being safe as well as frugal and adding sterile rock with just enough live to begin the process.

After hearing the first horror story someone shared with me about getting a mantis shrimp and it destroying their stock and/or tank, I would rather not get one until I choose to as a pet when I am well and truly prepared for it. Lol.