· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    If Flouish Excel is an alternative carbon source to CO2, then I wonder if Flourish Comprehensive (because it IS comprehensive) also provides that. It would seem to me that "comprehensive" means all-inclusive. I am hesitant to use the Excel because there have been accounts of it killing some fish. My fish seem to do okay with the Comprehensive, and if plants need CO2, and that will provide the carbon alternative as well, then it sounds like it would fill the ticket.

From what I've read, CO2 injection comes with its own set of problems and if you forget to turn it off at night, you can have real trouble. Doesn't it also require buying extra equipment and has to be set up just so?

I've never really understood it that well, because I don't use it. And if the ferts I'm now using will provide the equivalent, that should be enough ...

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Flourish Comprehensive, also just called Flourish, does not contain what's in Excel. Flourish Comprehensive is a comprehensive fertilizer, containing micronutrients like iron, magnesium, calcium, and others. Excel on the other hand is a carbon source that works in the same vein as CO2.

Excel is not a complete substitute for CO2 injection, but it will help plant growth if CO2 is limiting. Like you, I haven't bothered with CO2 due to the potential risks, as well as costs and hassle. I have a friend whose CO2 regulator broke, and he woke up one morning with a tank full of dead fish

At the recommended doses, Excel isn't supposed to affect fish. Seachem's website claims this also. I've never had problems with Excel affecting fish, although it's possible of course that there are certain sensitive species you have to be careful with. I would be more concerned with Excel and invertebrates--I had a friend who wouldn't use Excel because she was breeding cherry shrimp. Excel hasn't seemed to affect my amano shrimp, or any of my snails, though.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you again for very helpful information.

It sounds like I can minimally dose with Excel and be safe. This might be what my jungle val needs to get going.

When I use the Flourish comp, I always dose minimally, using less than they recommend on the label, because, like with medicines, if a lesser dose still works, why use more? Cuts down on the possibility of undesired side effects.

Just one question: Would I use the Excel in addition to the Flourish comp, or in place of it (that is, use ONLY the Excel)? And at different times, not both at once?

I'll be adding Excel to my shopping list next time I visit my LFS.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    Just one question: Would I use the Excel in addition to the Flourish comp, or in place of it (that is, use ONLY the Excel)? And at different times, not both at once?
    He already answered this in the post before yours [Bold is original]. As mentioned they do not do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by biotsrama
    Flourish Comprehensive, also just called Flourish, does not contain what's in Excel. Flourish Comprehensive is a comprehensive fertilizer, containing micronutrients like iron, magnesium, calcium, and others. Excel on the other hand is a carbon source that works in the same vein as CO2.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, they do different things. One does not replace the other. So you would use both. They each have their own dosing schedules.