· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stem plants dying??

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but all of a sudden it seems like my wisteria & anacharis are dying (and even my sword is shedding it's leaves) They have been in my tank for at least a good 2 or 3 months. I would have thought they would have adjusted by now. But the leaves are completely gone from most of the lower parts of the wisteria and then the roots keep dying. So they end up floating up to the top of my tank and then I have to go and replant them. I use flourish liquid fertilizer about once a week. The lighting I have is a Hagen A1634 20-Watt Life-Glo 2 Fluorescent Bulb, 24-Inch in case that helps..
    This is what my tank used to look like:

Now it looks like...and I apologize for the tank looking a little dirty. I haven't had time to deep clean the tank!

Does anyone know what measures I could take to get them to grow back again?? I don't have a ton of time or money due to the fact school is in full swing but I really want to try and do my best to get the tank back up to par!
    Last edited by kattiq; 10-06-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your light is insufficient by a long shot. I assume the tank to be a 10 or 20 gal? 40 to 50 w of t5ho would be needed for the asst of plants you have. Until you can get such a fixture stop dosing all ferts. The plant are not using them but the algae is.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You also might want to try some root tabs, stem plants are usually heavy root feeders.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually ,no. Stem plants do put down root like structures but are more for anchoring. Stem plants actually pull the majority of there nutrients from the water column. The sword plants are different story and could benefit from root tabs but only if more light is added.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't disagreeing with you about the lighting Smaug, merely adding another thought. I didn't say all were heavy root feeders just usually, meaning many but not all. These people agree.
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=140546
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to the above.

Your tank requires more light and more ferts for your plants to thrive.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What's your water change schedule? What's your nitrate level? Besides Flourish, do you also dose phosphate and potassium?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of lighting do you have currently ()? It probably isn't enough from what I can see...

What is the substrate that you're using?

For now, cut off the dead growth, it isn't doing your plants or your water any good. Your sword seems to be putting out a lot of nice green leaves though, doesn't seem to be unhealthy. Its normal for swords to die off like that but that could progress more rapidly if there aren't enough nutrients in the tank.

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    Try better lighting as suggested previously. I think thats your main issue
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.