· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help stocking 20 gal tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all I have a 20 gallon tank and I am looking for help/advice/suggestions for adding a few non schooling fish that will do well with what I already have in the tank.
    Currently I have 5 false julii's, 5 black neon tetras, 5 serpae tetras and 1 emerald cory. We are going to donate the 5 serpae tetras and 1 emerald cory to the LFS, the serpaes are nipping at the other fish. We are planning on replacing the serpaes with 5 cardinal tetras. That way we have 2 sets of schooling fish and a set of bottom feeders. But we want to add a 2-3 non schooling fish to the tank that can possible add some color or a variety in the shapes of the fish. I was looking at a gold twinbar platy at one option. Any other ideas?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a dwarf gourami make a good fit?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They might be aggressive with your existent stock

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You don't really have any room for a single fish. You could try a dwarf cichlid but only 1. I would up the existing schools and add the dwarf cichlid. It should make for a pretty interesting tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryann
    You don't really have any room for a single fish. You could try a dwarf cichlid but only 1. I would up the existing schools and add the dwarf cichlid. It should make for a pretty interesting tank.
    Why is that? Aqadvisor shows that I have plenty of filtration and with my current stock of 5 each of julii's, neons & cardinals it has me at 86% stocking level. Just messing around with aqadvisor and adding a guppy, a dwarf gourami and a twinbar platy put me at 103 stocking lvl ( using adult sizes). Which isn't bad. Not that I would add those specific fish I don't know if they are compatible or not, though aqadvisor didn't pop up any red flags.

Just curious. Am I missing something?

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolsen27
    Just curious. Am I missing something?
    Yes.

Aquaadvisor is a tool for sketchwork & rough drafts - NOT for final drafts.

Simply put. A 20 is a small tank and when you already have THREE schooling species in it.

You are pushing the limits of capacity and this puts stocking aggressive species [DG or cichlids] as something you should only consider after you have spent some length of time maintaining the stock you have with lower than usual TrAtes to insure you have the bio-filtration required for more stock.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha. I was using dwarf guorami's as an idea only not completely sold on them. Though everything I read abut them says they are a peaceful fish, unlike other guorami's and that they do well in community tanks. I a new to this so I depend on research and forums like this for help so when I am told one thing from research and another on forums I tend to get confused...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolsen27
    Gotcha. I was using dwarf guorami's as an idea only not completely sold on them. Though everything I read abut them says they are a peaceful fish, unlike other guorami's and that they do well in community tanks. I a new to this so I depend on research and forums like this for help so when I am told one thing from research and another on forums I tend to get confused...
    I have a dwarf gourami in my 30 with serpae tetras, Colombian tetras and a school of cory cats. he's been a great tank mate and adds a ton of color and movement. I think it might depend on the gourami but you might give one a try.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492