· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    [COLOR="Purple"]Zero nitrAtes? that's odd. An established tank should show some nitrates.
    +1 Is this a lightly stocked/heavily planted tank?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I did rinse the ceramic media in tap water because it was ignored and almost all sludge. I would guess that the remaining water in the tank would be more important to the cycling than a few cups of media.

The fish started dying shortly after the water change and filter cleanup. This is the same filter I have been using for 3 years. It's a puzzle.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago
    Yeah I did rinse the ceramic media in tap water because it was ignored and almost all sludge. I would guess that the remaining water in the tank would be more important to the cycling than a few cups of media.
    Unfortunately, you guessed wrong. When you rinsed your media in tap water, you killed all of your beneficial bacteria that had been growing there. The water in your tank does not hold your beneficial bacteria. the filter media does. That's why you can do 50% or more weekly water changes and not disrupt the cycle in your tank.
    Now, however, we know why the fish are dying. They are suffering from ammonia and or nitrite poisoning because you lost your cycle.

The fish started dying shortly after the water change and filter cleanup. This is the same filter I have been using for 3 years. It's a puzzle.
    Which is a puzzle no longer. The filter probably has a little of the beneficial bacteria left in it but, again, you killed the bulk of it when you rinsed your media and what was left in the filter was not enough to handle the bio load of your fish.
    So ... what you need to do now is treat your tank as a brand new, uncycled tank. If you still have fish in it, then you must check your water with your API liquid test kit each day BEFORE you make any water changes. If ammonia and or nitrites get close to .5, you need to do an immediate 50% water change ( this may be daily or every other day depending on your readings) and keep doing that until your ammonia and Nitrites both drop to 0 and your nitrates are at least 5. With fish, this could take a couple of months
    If your fish have all died, you can do a fishless cycle with ammonia. there's a stickie explaining both the fish in and fishless cycle right here in the beginners freshwater section of the forum :o(

For future note: when you get your tank cycled again, and your filter needs cleaning, then simply rinse the media in the water you removed from the tank when you did your weekly water change. But NEVER in tap water. And BTW: I am speaking from experience. A similar thing happened to me when I was cycling my first tank. I thought I'd be doing a great thing by cleaning the filter media in tap water - and lost almost 2 months worth of cycling time by killing my bacteria when I did it. I had to start all over again. So I feel your pain

So sorry. If you have more questions let us know.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-08-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    @fishmommie

This is correct and good advice
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-08-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Quoted 400 words to write 5?
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

Thumbs up Repped

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub
    This is correct and good advice
    I concur.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Live and learn I guess. I'll save out a big bucket of tank water next time. Usually I take a long hose and empty into the street. Then I attach another long hose and run it to the end of the house where the kitchen sink is. I have a fitting to attach the fill hose. Lesson learned the hard way. Thanks again to all.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ Santiago...

Again - good luck with your fish and getting your cycle going again.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Remaining water was not important to your cycle at all. Bacteria is not in the water, it's in the filter media. Also, if you had a high ammonia level....say 1....and did a water change on one/half, you would still have an ammonia level of .50. Still too high.

Fish hanging at the water surface was a clear indictation there was lack of oxygen. It could be due to ammonia due to the cleaning of the filter under tap water or the way the filter output was positioned. So between not enough oxygen, adding new fish and cleaning the media uncorrectly, the fish were unable to survive in all that. Forget adding salt and buffers and all that stuff and do water changes as they should be done.

You mentioned the filter media was full of sledge. Sounds like poor maintenance to me. Do a water change weekly and rinse the filter media out more regularly.

I hope I'm not parroting anyone. I don't read all the posts.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOL - yes, it's been said but it's reassuring to know you agree with me. BTW - the tank water he referred to saving in his last comment is referring to my suggestion that the next time he cleans his media, rinse it in tank wate, not tap water to avoid killing his BB again.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah after a bout with brown beard algae I stripped down the tank and really did not give it the care it needed. Thanks again for all the advice.