· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: instant Cycle

Question instant Cycle

0 Not allowed!
    I am setting up a divided 10 gallon tank tonight. This tank will house 2 bettas. It will be planted and heated. I just have a couple of question I wanted to run by the AC and get your feedback.

My main question is concernig the instant cycle. I will be using two AquaClear 20. One on each size. These filters have been running on my other tanks for about 5 months now. I am also going to use 2 pieces of driftwood that i have kep in my 30 for about 2 months. I am very confident that i will have a well established BB colony in the tank.

My question is which is better to use:
    A. old tank water
    B. 50/50 old tank water/new clean prime treated tap water
    C. 100% prime treated tap water

Will two 50 watts heater, one in each side, be too much for the tank?
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Use 100% fresh water. The heaters should be fine, betta's like the water on the warm side anyway, I think the low 80's but you will have to check my numbers there.
    Last edited by mommy1; 10-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Exclamation There is no benefit whatsoever to using the old water, The BB do not live in the H2O

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    Use 100% fresh water.
    +1 ...............
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    No such a thing as an instant cycle unless the filters have been on other tanks and are cycled. The filters is where the cycle is, not the water.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi
    Will two 50 watts heater, one in each side, be too much for the tank?
    No, The heaters will only run as often as it takes to keep your tank at the set temp. Having two means that they will not be working as hard or as often. They might take up some room though and having two filters means you will have plenty of flow [I would think] which is key to even heat dispersion . . . IMO you could get away with one but it's nbd either way.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    No such a thing as an instant cycle unless the filters have been on other tanks and are cycled. The filters is where the cycle is, not the water.
    Filters have been running on my other tanks for 5 months. Oh yea. I took your advice on multiple filters a long time ago.
    Roll the Dice!

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone.

I will post pics of tank and fish later tonight if everything goes as planned.

I will be using 100% fresh clean water all the way.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    . . . IMO you could get away with one but it's nbd either way.
    The reason I was thinking of 2 heaters is that I might be using a glass divider covered by plants on both sides. It all depends on what I find @ the LFS. Dont feel like DIY divider lol.
    Roll the Dice!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi
    Thanks everyone.

I will post pics of tank and fish later tonight if everything goes as planned.

I will be using 100% fresh clean water all the way.
    Just don't forget to condition the water
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Thumbs up Thank you all.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help.

Here is the finished tank.

It is divided with a mesh dividerso the flow is good but not strong enough to bother the plakats.

I ended up using one 50 watt heater like 850R suggested.

We are having a little crisis right now with the female betta. I wasnt able to put the heater in on Friday and of course my sister left the window open over night on Saturday. The water was so cold on Sunday when i went to install the heater. I found the poor girl laying on the substrate. This morning she still a bit lethargic but breathing alot better. Hopefully she will recover soon.
    Roll the Dice!