· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default adding another filter... got questions

0 Not allowed!
    well i have a 20 g tank with 1, 30 gallon filter. i have had a lot of problems lately with losing fish and i have finally found out it is ammonia poisoning. i have done many water changees/ gravel vacuuming and everything else (trites trates etc.) are good. i just got a 30 gallon tank from a friend and it came with a filter that is double the size of mine... it looks the same somewhat but instead of 1 filter pad is has 2 next to eachother... i was wondering if i cleaned it out and put in on my tank along with my original filter would that help to get the water/enviroment extra clean before the tank switch...what should i kno or do before putting a second filter on

and also i am going to start another thread about aquarium salt in fresh water so please check that out for the pros and cons about salt

i love this site cuz u r all so helpful!!!!!!
    20 gallon- platies, dalmation mollies, cory cats, red belly x ray tetras,gourami, african dwarf frog

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A filter rated for 30g is probably insufficient for a 20g tank. Filter mfrs are notorious for over estimating filtering capacity in real world situations. A good rule of thumb many follow is to use two filters, which combined, according to the mfr, are capable of handling a tank twice the size of yours.

What kind of filters do you have, and what type of bio material are you using? What are your ammo, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Beneficial bacteria grow, to some extent, on gravel, and mechanical and chemical filter materials. For now, until you get the ammo under control, it may be best not to change filter material or vac the gravel. Add a second filter rated for 20g. Hagen Aquaclears are, IMHO, the best value for the buck on small to medium tanks. Penguins are also great, though cartrige costs can add up.

On an ongoing basis, if you can, it's often best to vac one half of the gravel at each pwc, and to replace no more than one filter media a week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat   thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue   For being understanding, thank you - Cliff   (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex   

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like you lost the cycle in your other filter. if you want to add the other filter to your exsisting tank go ahead. all its doing is giving more places for BB to grow. if you want to go out and get a wonderful filer, i would suggest the aquaclear (or i guess its fluval aquaclear now...) they are wonderful and basically a hang on the back canister filter.

for your exsisting problem i would suggest using something to detox your ammonia, do w/c daily, and if you want to speed things up a bit use some stability (bacteria booster). dont be alarmed if your tanks get cloudy.

infact im doing the above right now cause ALL of my tanks lost there cycle due to a 4 day power loss... if i had a strong bb colony going i would offer you some bio rings to help seed you (seeing how you are a 30 min drive).... but sorry
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Those little filter pads don't hold all that much bacteria and why I don't use biowheels. If you replace the cartridge, there goes your cycle. I used sponges and biomax in mine and eliminated the cartridges all together.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lady hobbs what do u mean when u say u use sponges in your filter...because i have been trying to find a better way than the stoopid carttridges
    20 gallon- platies, dalmation mollies, cory cats, red belly x ray tetras,gourami, african dwarf frog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know what size tank that second filter is rated for? It should be rated at least for a 20-gallon, preferably more. Combining it with your existing filter will benefit your tank and its inhabitants.

It's really not necessary to keep changing the media. Rinsing it out in tank water during WCs is really all you need to do. Eventually, the foam sponge will wear out completely and need replacing, but that takes a very long time to happen.

If you have carbon, remove it and replace it with more biomedia -- IF your filter is the type that will allow you to interchange the media easily. Carbon is only needed to remove medications or other toxic chemicals from the tank. Increasing the surface your beneficial bacteria can grow on ensures maximim benefit from the filtration.

That's why the Aquaclears work so well. You can easily interchange the media in them, and you can control the current with the flow control valve.

Do add the second filter. It can't do any harm and will do a lot of good.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    the second filter i was given is a "whisper triad power filter 60"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    it has two sides and one of the filter inserts says bio bag...what would go in this side? carbon?. or what else could i put in it. and what do i put in the other side

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat   thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue   For being understanding, thank you - Cliff   (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex   

0 Not allowed!
    this might not be an ideal thing to do but it would work to better the filter. those carts look like they can be opened without cutting the foam/filter floss. what i would do is get a nice filter sponge (for a none name brand cut your own size deal) and cut them to the same size as the carts, then empty all the carbon out and replace is with some bio media. in that application i would buy cheap ceramic rings, and crush the dickens out of them till they are the size of like gravel. then add this crushed media to the now empty carts.

the only reason to change the stock carts is because of the carbon, if you replace it with bio media then all you need to do is rinse them (never both at the same time PLEASE) with old tank water. when the bags start falling apart (might take a year or 2) just buy a new cart and replace the carbon with the old bio media.

oh and the sponge i told you to cut? just add it to the back of the filter cart, if you think would fit. that just gives a bit more filtration.... if it causes performance issue then remove it and just use the carts with bio media.

edit just saw your last post. as i understand the bio bag is just carbon.... those are junk because the carbon needs replacing. i only use carbon when trying to do a chemical filter (after meds)
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    so i would use the ceramic rings in 1 side and carbon in the other or just 1 not both