· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default To market, to market, to buy some fresh fish

0 Not allowed!

My wife and I on our way home with our second attempt at a peters elephant nose. One of the most dreadedly difficult mormynids of all time.

Everyone, cross your fingers for us. I will throw up some pictures of the little guy once we get home.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So here is the big guy when we opened up the cooler we brought him home in.

Because these things are so sensitive we brought him homd in a critter carrier with river stones as substrate and some water sprite planted instead of in the standard fish bags.

His color is a bit faded from the stressful trip home, but he was lively at least. He ate in the critter carrier while drip acclimating. He also tried to jump out of the thing three or four times. It was good to see that he had enough spirit and energy to try and escape. That gives me high hopes for this one.

We actually pre-paid for one three weeks ago, but the first one went ill after about a week at the LFS, so they ordered another for us. We watched him for an additional two weeks at the LFS to moniter his feeding and temperment before deciding it was time to bring him home.

The cool thing is as of a few days ago the first one that was sick at the LFS is doing much better. Today he was looking almost as good as this one.

Here is a video of him exploring the tank right after going in if anyone wants to see how they behave. They are one of my favorite Mormyrid.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...DC8F65801B.mp4

This is the second time we have tried to keep a peters. The first one was very, very young when we bought her, and we made the mistake of buying her literally an hour after she came into the LFS. I sat up with her all night while she went through what appeared to be seizures, but she passed by the time the sun came up.

it's nice to get the chance to try one again, and to see them behaving the way this incredible species is supposed to behave.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some friends of mine had two of these...I do not believe they took good care of them, and they died. They are lovely, sweet fish.

It's so touching that you show so much care to this fish, and the one who passed away. It's beautiful. I hope this one does well for you! Goodness knows you are trying very hard !

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Bethy.

Yeah they are beautiful. That is the way of it with almost all mormyrid. Exceptionally attractive fish, and at the same time incredibly difficult to care for. I am not surprised at all that your friends two didn't survive if they weren't caring for them. Even when you do most of the time there is still a good chance they won't make it.

They are unfortunately known by the less kind members of the trade as "rental fish" because customers buy them and within a couple days have returned thinking it passed away because of their inexperience, at which point they are sold another one. And the process repeats as long as possible.

By no means do I intend to insinuate that all people in the aquarium trade are like this. As a matter of fact I have faith that this is the smaller share of LFS workers that behave like this, but it goes to show how notorious this species is for being fragile.

I really hope this guy makes it. They have a bad habit of looking fantastic for weeks and then suddenly taking a nose dive for no apparent reason. But when we lost the first one it became a challenge for the stubborn side of me to successfully keep one of these healthy and happy.

Plus if you can get them to do well they are one of the longest living, highest intelligence fish known to hobbiests.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    lol, your wife does not look as impressed as you are to buy a new fish? I get the same look usually.

cool fish if you can provide an ideal environment for them. best of luck with it and keep us updated.
    Thar she blows!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah lol.

Actually it's her baby. But she HATES to have her picture taken. Hence my "I've done it now" face. I am blessed enough to have a partner who has a bigger case of MTS than I do, and if you glance at my profile or project blog you can see that statement is seriously saying something.

And tank you for the well wishes. I will deff let the community know how this guy does.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Best of luck with the little fella, its nice to see someone get as excited as i do about a fish!

0 Not allowed!
    Those are really cool fish. Keep us posted

Best of luck with him
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with that handsome fish of yours. Please keep us posted.
    Roll the Dice!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Jut thought I would give everyone a quick update.

It's been about 36hrs and Heffalump is doing great. He's eating well, and super active. He is still really shy which is totally normal for them, but he is a little brat to everyone else in the tank so he obviously has no qualms about establishing his place in the pecking order.

This did put things in a strange position because there were two fairly large lohachata in there with him and tho it had been ok so far, I was worried he would get so pushy with them that they would deploy their suboccular spines and end up hurting him.

There was also an issue in another tank with some zebra and clown loaches trying to steal my black ghost knifes house, which was a large conch shell he used. That situation was threatening to end up the same way, with the loaches just digging in so to speak into the corner, spines out, stubborn as mules.

So the remedy for both these problems were to rehome my baby Tumi the BGK into the tank in our bedroom with the elephantnose, which worked out great because I like having him in our room anyway. He is my favorite fish.

At the same time I moved the lohachata into the loach tank with the zebra, clowns, and kuhli that all live in there. I did some rearranging in that tank and dug out an old power head we have to clean off and add a current for all of them.

The result has been that all the loaches are mobbing around together all evening happier than I have seen them in quite a while, while at the same time my BGK Tumi, the elephantnose Heffalump, and my wife's ABK BennyHanna are all swimming around together tonight getting along fantastically. I half expected there was going to be some aggression at first that would have to play itself out between those three, but they are acting like they are the best of friends.

Tumi ended up loving the fact that in his new tank he can swim along it's entire length in a network of caves and tunnels I set up with large stones, so instead of being confined to his shell all day he feels safe and covered while being free to swim.

Everyone just got a huge treat of hand fed bloodworm cubes. Even heff came up to my hand once or twice. I will try to get some pics of them together in the next few days as those three species next to each other creates an impressive sight, but they are all EXTREEMELY nocturnal.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes. Call me crazy if you want, but I believe it helps. Good energy is good energy. It is appreciated.