· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What intensity is this combo?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 48" long tank, 55gal, lights are about 20 inches from the substrate. Two light fixtures which hold one 18" T8 each. FW setup.

Right now, I have a life-glo 15W (6700K I think)in one fixture, and I just put a coralife 15w (10,000K) in the other. This is a vast improvement over the crap lights the tank came with. Both bulbs are new.

Am I going to be able to keep my plants alive with this setup? I tried using the calculators and it looks like I can grow/maintain nothing.

Thanks for your help. There is so much to learn. I want healthy fish and plants!

0 Not allowed!
    What plants are you going to be keeping?
    Plants require different lighting levels.

0 Not allowed!
    I think you'll struggle with most plants to be honest bud.

I had a 48" long and 22" deep tank with 216w over it, most of my plants exploded with growth but even then there were a few that struggled.

I went down to 162w and found a good balance though getting rid of a few of the highest light plants
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That fixture will not support much more then some algae . It may keep certain plants such as a mossball or anubias and ferns alive but they won't grow.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well as far as plants go, I have a little of everything...a couple of swords, a couple anubias, wisteria, and bacopa. There is also anacharis, but that never does well, and I am OK with replacing it every so often.

Strangely enough, I had a 20 gallon tank with just one T8 15w 8000K bulb and every one of these plants rooted and grew. Not fantastically, but a bit. The one couple of swords I have are both quite old...almost killed them a couple times, but now they are doing quite well.

Anyway, do they make higher wattage 18" T8 bulbs? Or will I have to consider an upgrade? Sorry to sound so dumb...I guess I am about this stuff.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All right. Looks like, through my research, that my T8s are not going to cut it. Fabulous. I look to upgrade my tank and there is always just one more thing to buy so everybody is happy in there. I'm gonna go broke.

So it looks like a 48" T5 fixture is the way to go... but I will have to find a way to suspend it above the hood. I know the fancy aquarium specific fixtures have feet. Could I possibly rig a way to elevate the fixture? I have some T5s in a plant table...they run wicked hot. I will not suspend it from the ceiling.

At this point, changing the lighting on the tank is just too too expensive for me if I do it straight out of a catalog. My husband will kill me. He's already upset at how expensive this tank has become.

Also...could I possibly add some...what are they?...LED strips? Do you add those to the existing fixture somewhere?

Boy, I'm feeling lost and confused. I just want to get this tank right.

Off to check out my plant table...maybe I can use one of those fixtures. They are 48" two bulb T5s....