· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Arowana Fin Damage

0 Not allowed!
    I was cleaning my tank and my Silver Arowana jumped out and landed on my table. I quickly grabbed him after wearing gloves that were on my table luckily and put him back in.

Well he was dazed for a few minutes and now he's fine swimming around.

I noticed one of his fins have been ripped in the event and is dangling while still attached to his body.

I think it's called the Pelvic fin but correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure it will detach from his body within a few days, but will it grow back?

I hope it does.

I have attached a pic that was taken 3 months ago, it doesn't show the damage, I am just indicating the fin that got damaged.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    glad to hear he survived!

unfortunately the pelvic fins of the silver arowana are the hardest fins to grow back perfectly. smaller arowanas have a better chance of 100% healing these fins. the good news is that it will heal (with clean water and good foods) and in most arowanas can be hardly noticeable. it will most likely take months before it starts looking good again. all depending on the location and severity of the injury.

best of luck healing up your aro. they are monster fish and do act accordingly.
    Thar she blows!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    glad to hear he survived!
    smaller arowanas have a better chance of 100% healing these fins.
    Does a 10 inch Aro count as small?

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishery
    Does a 10 inch Aro count as small?
    yes, 10" is small for an aro and barely a juvie yet. he will heal up good as long as he is in ideal conditions.
    Thar she blows!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Roger that.

Of all the fish I had my Silver Arowana was the one that I enjoyed the most.
    I will try my best to keep the water pristine and give him good and varied food.

Hope he is well soon.

I ll be doing a 30% water change right away.

0 Not allowed!
    Another thing. I would not advise using gloves to pick up your fish. Wet hands will be much better for their slime coat.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would have used my own hands for any other fish.
    My idea of using gloves was selfish as the fish I was handling was an Aro and I didn't want to get bit on a gloomy Wednesday afternoon.

0 Not allowed!
    Come on buddy... you gotta get tagged sometime or the other. Its not so bad... I got bitten by a wolf fish once. Oh and a moray eel
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    I got bitten by a wolf fish once. Oh and a moray eel
    Ouch! I understand, I ll try it with my wet hands next time he does Aerobatics out of the tank.

But I have heard that they are very slippery and it would be difficult to catch them with bare hands, just a myth?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    a 10" aro could hardly hurt. if you are scared of such a fish now, just wait till he is 3 feet and 7lbs! aros won't bite when they are gasping for air outside of the tank. only times I get bit is when I handfeed and they get a little anxious. as long as you were careful and he seems to be swimming/eating ok you should be fine. keep us posted.
    Last edited by Crispy; 10-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Thar she blows!!!