· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Beta help

1. Default Beta help

0 Not allowed!
    I posted the other day regarding using colloidal silver for helping my beta which had been attacked.

Although he's still swimming rather well and looks okay he still has problems. I've now discovered that he is blind. Unfortunately my luck was blind Bettas is not all that great. I had one a while ago which I had taken in from the pet store, In efforts to try to help it. it lasted no more than a month.

I'd like to improve my success with this little guy. For feeding I turn off the filter and leave the food floating for a while hoping that when he goes up to take breath you'll run into it and get some. He did get at least a tiny bit tonight.

Also I don't know if anybody has any suggestions for growing back his fins other than just leaving him and the aquarium salt and obviously in his own tank. His fins and tail are all torn and about half the size that they would be for a female betta.

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick question. Why do you think your betta is blind? Just because of his slow reaction to food? Or is there anything else? Check his eyes with a flashlight. If they look cloudy or filmy he may have a condition that is fairly common in betta called "cloudy eye". The right meds can actually reverse this supposedly. If you can diagnose that this is what is wrong, try some "Myxazin" or the meds "bettafix" or "melafix" (same med, melafix is just a stronger concentration). Make sure to keep his water super clean and use the meds exactly as prescribed. Good luck to you both.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He is always bumping into things, such as a side of the tank or a fake plant, or even filter intake. That got me wondering so I pulled out a mirror and put that beside the tank, he'd seemingly look right at the mirror and not flare or be bothered in any way. He does seem to go for the food when he's near it but it takes a while To actually find the right spot.

The eyes do not appear cloudy. They appear to be completely black. totally black.

I don't think it's eye cloud but I could be wrong. However I do happen to have Mela fix. I just put that some of that in; thanks for the suggestion. At the very least hopefully it'll help repair some of the fin damage.

I feel so horrible. I should never put him in the community tank. I have had male bettas in that 55 gal community tank before without any problems, but apparently this time was different.

Oh and I have the temperature set to about 75. Should I be adjusting that in any way while he's recuperating?

Thanks again

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No don't worry about adjusting the temp or doing any other "treatments" unless you have a positive diagnosis. It can end up stressing them more.

Yeah it doesn't sound like cloudy eye, you are correct. But he does seem to be blind. It may be that he stays that way. If he has any isse finding his food try soaking some bloodworms in garlic oil. It will help him use his nose to pinpoint the food and it should also entice him to eat.

You prob already know, but make sure you are diluting the melafix enough, especially if he is currently in a small tank while you treat him.

I'm afraid other than that there isn't much help I can offer. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Good luck.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Either he does not like garlic or I did something wrong. I soaked some freeze grub worms in Garlic Guard for a little bit before putting them in the tank. I also put in a couple of the grub worms that were not soaked in the garlic guard. It took a while but he did eventually try to grab the unsoaked ones; but mostly did not get them bang on, and they got away from him. He'll go right under the soaked worms, and never attempt it.

Then I also tried some Nutrafin Betta flakes. They seem to work better as he would eventually get near to them, and grab it successfully.

But after more than 45 minutes he finally did get a decent fill. Hopefully he will soon learn that the filter being unplugged will mean it's time to start searching for food.