· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Learning as I go.. Ghost & snail issues

0 Not allowed!
    Hello to all, I have had this large tank for several years but wasn't the one taking care of it until several months ago. When I took over it had 1 sad lonely albino cory about 3 years old. The tank hadn't been cleaned, pH was way too high, not enough water to run filter and no light. I fixed all of that by scrubbing the sides, siphoning the gravel, adding water with the pH already corrected, and cleaning the decor. Four days later bought my cardinals and sterbai cory. The original albino cory was growing and looking super healthy and active and died on me with no warning 2 days later. I figure he was so used to the prior horrible conditions that the corrections killed him. Bummer.. so I bought another. So I've gradually bought the rest of my water babies and tweeked the tank slowly to accommodate everybody including adding aquarium salt for my mollies, stress coat treatment and feeding blood worms to my dragon and ghost. So there are 2 issues now. I had bought a golden mystery snail about 3 weeks ago and just realized he's dead. Bought it and dude zoomed all of my tank groping everything then the next day locked himself in his shell and hadn't budged since. This morning I noticed it's shell had been spun around and there were holes in it and the opening was very thin but it's "door" still looked shut tight. Called my local joint and they weren't sure what to tell me and said to bring it in tomorrow. I had already researched a bit online so I scooped the snail out to get a closer look and it started pouring out of the holes in the sides!! What happened? What do I need to do to keep a snail with the rest of my water babies all copacetic? If I can't have one I'll deal but I do like that they help keep my glass algae-free. I, of course, siphoned it's remains out and did a 25% water change (being kinda grossed out and such!). I've read to keep the water level as close to the top as possible unless I want snail babies (easy if true) and adding cuttlebone to supply calcium but don't know if that will hurt my other wet pets. Second issue is my ghost has white specs on it. I raised the water temp to 84 degrees(F) in hopes that it would kill ich if that's the problem but it's been 2 days and only slight improvement. I'm afraid to use chemicals as I've also read the ghosts are sensitive to such. It's still quite active so do I wait it out? Any and all suggestions regarding my snail pursuit or any of my other water babies are welcomed and appreciated.
    55 gal freshwater tank with aquarium salt, 4 balloon body mollies, 6 guppies, 1 Bala shark, 1 albino cory, 1 sterbai cory, 1 otto cat, 1 albino bristle pleco, 5 cardinal tetra, 1 kuhli loach?, 1 dwarf frog, 1 glass cat, 1 black ghost knife, 1 dragon fish, 2 Green Glo tetra and a mystery snail.

Current: 10/16/12
    pH 7
    KH 180
    GH 25
    Nitrate 40
    Nitrite 0

0 Not allowed!
    I'm afraid I don't know much about the Ghost, however if it has ich you may have to treat the whole tank so it does not spread.

As for the snail, it is possible your water contains copper, and also, snails can't live in a tank that contains salt. Salt kills snails. If you dosed aquarium salt into the tank for the mollies, you have your answer.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Family!

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the community.

Post your questions in the proper sections and you'll get answers much quicker.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you been doing research on this site about having a properly cycled tank? You may have added all the new fish too fast. How long did the tank only have 1 cory in it? I ask this bc you may not have the Beneficial Bacteria built up in the tank any longer to sustain all the new fish. The ick I would keep the temp up for around 10-14 days to ensure its completely gone, this can become a major issue
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

Awards Showcase

feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome aboard.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for the welcomes! I did put aquarium salt in my tank and the shop I've been using for everything keeps salt in all of their tanks so this snail was used to it supposedly. How can I tell if the tank has copper in it? There's nothing obvious that I can think of? The 1 original cory had been in this tank for about 3 years and all I did is clean glass/decor, siphon gravel, fix the filter and light, and lower the ph before adding any new fish. Great news though - my ghost is doing fine! The raise in temp did the job! The incredibly helpful guy at my shop loaned me a clear ghost tube but it's not interested and has been hiding in the eyes of a skull and laying on the leaves of a new fake plant. Now I haven't seen my khuli loach in a week... something is digging up gravel in random spots and the loach did dig up a plant before so maybe he's only coming out at night?? I'm going to try another snail soon but I'm thinking cherry barbs or electric green tetras. Any reasons they wouldn't fit in? I need some middle swimmers since my 5 cardinals are the only ones hanging out there. Forum/thread suggestions? Thanks again!
    Last edited by ninny747; 10-09-2012 at 04:03 AM.
    55 gal freshwater tank with aquarium salt, 4 balloon body mollies, 6 guppies, 1 Bala shark, 1 albino cory, 1 sterbai cory, 1 otto cat, 1 albino bristle pleco, 5 cardinal tetra, 1 kuhli loach?, 1 dwarf frog, 1 glass cat, 1 black ghost knife, 1 dragon fish, 2 Green Glo tetra and a mystery snail.

Current: 10/16/12
    pH 7
    KH 180
    GH 25
    Nitrate 40
    Nitrite 0

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the ac
    fishguy420