· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Alrighty then, tank setup and cycling, few comments and one question.

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, as some of you may remember from my intro thread, my wife and I decided to get a tank and put a Betta in it. We bought the 5 gallon mini-rainbow from Wal-Mart as well as accessories. I bought a 50 watt visi-therm stealth heater and have it set to 84deg as I've read that will help with cycling. It has a mixture of sand and small pebbles for substrate, mostly sand, as my wife really likes the look of it. My Ph on this water is really high, 8.4 according to the test kit. I hope this will drop once the water conditioner kicks in and the tanks cycle. If not I'll have to figure something else out I guess. I've added ammonia although I got it a little high right now, about 6 ppm , which I will not mess with for right now.

Years ago, when my ex and I had a 10g tank with some neons and stuff in it , our filter died. Fortunately it was the middle of the day and I was able to run to the store and get a new one, two actually. Due to that I thought the idea of having a second filter around would be a good idea as I don't want it to die in the middle of the night and have no way to get one for it until the next day so I went out and bought an Aquaclear 20 power filter for the tank. This is the one I actually have in the tank right now as it takes up less space inside the tank and I have a question about it. It seems awfully noisy, now I know about the noise it'll make as it first starts up and the air bubbles need to come out, but it's been running for several hours now and has a rattling sound to it. Thinking maybe some sand had gotten into it when I put it in, even though the sand was thoroughly rinsed and had been settled for several hours, I pulled it out and took it apart and cleaned it. After putting it back in the noise was still there. Is this something that will go away after awhile, or do I need to return this thing and get another? I may just get another anyway and use this one as a spare, not sure.

Well, here's a picture of the tank, I'm not sure about the plants yet, not really sure if they're appropriate for a betta. The taller plant is there to help keep the current from the filter down and is silk, the other is one my wife picked out. Right now, the plan is a single Betta, and we're not sure if a few cory's or otto's might be appropriate or not as this is only a 5 gallon tank. Comments, criticisms, or pointers are always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    beautiful!

as for the filter noise, toggle around with the intake a bit

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco   Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985   oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco   for quiz answer - Dave66   From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie   

0 Not allowed!
    thats a nice tank, congrats
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    oh, and as for other fish, if you can find 3 pygmy cory's they would be fine in there

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I dont think anyone else is going to get your name.

"Lt. Dan, Ice cream. Ice Cream!"

*grabs icecream and puts it in bedpan*
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    HAHAHA, I wondered when someone was gonna catch that. That happened years ago when I was signing up for another forum and, for the umpteenth time, I couldn't find a username that I liked that wasn't already taken. I was trying to think up something original, in between shots of tequila with beer chasers, and my wife was watching Forrest Gump when that scene came on and I thought "PERFECT!" Sure enough, I've never seen it anywhere else and nowadays with the online games I play, it's become pretty recognizable so I use it everywhere I go.

I really like the idea of the cory's, I'm just not sure they'll be happy in groups of just two or three, the pygmy cory's look kinda cool. My wife saw some otos today when we were in Petsmart and liked the look of them too.

I messed around with the filter and it's intake and no change, I may just take it back if it doesn't quiet down a little bit as this tank is in our bedroom.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ottos can be sensitive, and die for no reason at times. they eat mainly fuzz algae, not wafers, so make sure they wont starve

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately it seems the LFS don't sell any of the pygmy cory's. Is there someplace to order them online, or does anyone know of someplace in the Charlotte, N.C. area to get them maybe? I find plenty of the albino's, even some emerald cory's but no pygmies, or even pandas for that matter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    If you ask them to order the pygmy cories, offer to pay half up front. They'll be more likely to order them for you if you do that.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    I dont think anyone else is going to get your name.

"Lt. Dan, Ice cream. Ice Cream!"

*grabs icecream and puts it in bedpan*
    I picked that up in dans intro thread, who don't love forest LOL