· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: New kribs!

1. Default New kribs!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all! My kribs have been SUPER aggressive to everyone this past week, and today, I figured out why.

Babies! And a ton of them!
    So gonna need a bigger tank.. It's only a 20g and it's already fully stocked!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here's another pic I took. This is my first time dealing with fish fry, if anyone has any advice that would be great!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chocological
    Here's another pic I took. This is my first time dealing with fish fry, if anyone has any advice that would be great!
    You weren't very specific, so I will give you the basics.

If you want to keep all your fry, you better move them to an isolated tank. 5-10 gallons is the optimal size for both easy cleaning and stable water quality.

Or move all the fish out from that tank. Either way, all the fish in your tank will attempt to feed on your fry, even their parents.

Use a sponge filter if you have one, fry can be sucked into intakes and chopped to bits in the pump. If you don't have a sponge filter, wrap a nylon sock or pantyhose over the end of your intake.

Add cover for the fry, free floating mosses with huge surface areas like Najas grass or Java moss is perfect. Bunched plants will also do.

FEED YOUR FRY FOOD THEY CAN FIT IN THEIR MOUTHS!!
    Most fry have a yolk sac they use to survive their first week of life, but they need to be fed small food after this. You can feed them: infusoria, baby brine shrimp, daphnia, Hikari First Bites (BEST IMO), or specially made food.

Home made food:
    1. Start boiling 1-2 eggs.
    2. Place some fish pellets/flakes into a ziploc/sandwich bag
    3. Pound fish food til it becomes a fine powder.
    4. Remove egg yolk and mix it well with the fish food powder
    5. After mixing extremely well, pound it inside the bag into a large flat sheet of nastiness
    6. Freeze to store, feed 2-3 times daily and only tiny amounts.

CYCLE WITHOUT FISH FOR THE LOVE OF POSEIDON

Currently in the process of moving all of my tanks, everything is down for now!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In a 20g very soon you will find out exactly how aggressive those parents can get. They will defend those fry with their lives and once they start moving them around the tank all other fish will be forced into a corner a they will claim your while tank.

They are awesome parents so best advice would be either let them have the tank to themselves and their fry or move the fry to a smaller tank to raise.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I might try and breed kribs too so this is really good to know.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    An amazing beautiful fish to breed with but it pays to have the right conditions sty for them if that's what you plan to do to avoid any unwanted aggression issues. Although dither fish are also very important imo to help keep the parents focused on protecting the fry and helps to stop them showing aggression toward each other.