· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 Raised bumps on Black Phantom Tetra

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

One of my Black Phantom Tetras (a first addition to my 75gal) has two raised spots at the base of her (red fins) tail. I ruled out ich, because they don't appear to be white and they seem much larger than grains of salt. I don't think it's black spot disease, because from the pictures it seems like the spots wouldn't be raised. I'm not sure if it's a parasite, but the bump doesn't seem to be circular. I can't figure this out. I've looked online for a similar disease, but can't seem to find something exact. The closest thing I could find might be "flesh worms?"

Usually my Phantoms aren't as active as my Serpae's, but they haven't hovered as high as this one has been. She's been hanging at least mid to 3/4 to the top of the tank, not moving around at all... just hovering and breathing. I'm thinking she's sluggish/lethargic, and she seems to be taking bigger gasps of air than the other 22 fish in the tank.

I posted three pics below:

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. I'm not sure how I should treat her, if I can at all.

Thanks!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, after seeing the spots, I immediately tested my water parameters again:

0 Ammonia
    0 Nitrites
    10 Nitrates

Temp is 81' F.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Darn, Kevin. sorry about that. Can you get her in a hospital tank? Maybe avoid the other fish getting what she's got until you figure it out?

I'll bump a friend here and see if he can help you....
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Darn, Kevin. sorry about that. Can you get her in a hospital tank? Maybe avoid the other fish getting what she's got until you figure it out?

I'll bump a friend here and see if he can help you....
    Thanks FM. I've got one set up from when I was QTing my 6 new fish. I could drop her in, but I didn't want to cause her any stress that might make things worse. =/ Be that as it may, it's set up and ready to go, should I need it.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Kevin!

If you have a QT, then put her straight in, so that you can take a good look at her, and then you can treat her, if needed.

A couple of questions for you.

1. How many Phantoms and how many Serpaes have you got, and have you noticed any nipping, fighting or chasing? If the spots aren't white, then it could be a couple of damaged or raised scales, from a squabble or injury caused by getting away from a squabble. Plus she's hanging out on her own, which is kind of telling me that she might be getting picked on.

2. Have your fish ever had any other diseases, such as white spot? Some diseases will cause scaring from secondary infections.

3. No other fishes in the tank have got anything on them?

4. Do her gills look red?

5. How long have you had the Phantoms for, and were they kept in a large group at the LFS that you got them from?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Hey Kevin!

If you have a QT, then put her straight in, so that you can take a good look at her, and then you can treat her, if needed.

A couple of questions for you.

1. How many Phantoms and how many Serpaes have you got, and have you noticed any nipping, fighting or chasing? If the spots aren't white, then it could be a couple of damaged or raised scales, from a squabble or injury caused by getting away from a squabble. Plus she's hanging out on her own, which is kind of telling me that she might be getting picked on.

2. Have your fish ever had any other diseases, such as white spot? Some diseases will cause scaring from secondary infections.

3. No other fishes in the tank have got anything on them?

4. Do her gills look red?

5. How long have you had the Phantoms for, and were they kept in a large group at the LFS that you got them from?

Hey Escamosa,

Thanks for the reply. I tried getting on again last night, but for some reason the site was inaccessible. My connection kept timing out.

So, I decided to wait until today and see how things looked in the morning. I checked her out again, and she's in or around the same spot she was in last night, but now her bumps are definitely more white, so I'm questioning ich again. I don't remember ich being this big or as raised, or even starting out as skin-colored bumps - and the bumps were quite oddly shaped, but the tip of the bump is definitely a circular white.

I'll put her in a QT when I get home from work. To answer your questions:

1. I have 10 Serpaes and 10 Phantoms. There's some chasing and nipping, but not a lot. Mostly the Phantoms pair off or swim around the tank by themselves, while the Serpaes typically stick together with a few stragglers. The Phantoms are definitely more docile than the Serpaes, but I will notice that the mails tend to protect their territory (and definitely stick to their territory for the majority of their time in the tank). I've also noticed courtship dances amongst both species' males. The male Serpaes will vibrate and circle the females, while the male Phantoms will spread out their fins as far as they can go, circle and flash their colors toward the females. Definitely interesting behavior, but not violent by any means.

2. I haven't noticed any other diseases with these fish, but I was having issues with Oxygen in the tank when I first added my stock. I had some tetras die off, because of oxygen depletion at night from all of the co2 of the plants. Since then, I had added two bubblers and things have been going quite well.

3. I've taken a look at every other fish, and I see nothing else that's abnormal.

4. Gills look normal, but she's definitely opening them up more than the other fish, when she's gulping. She definitely seems to be taking bigger gulps, as well.

5. These Phantoms were all kept in the same tank at the store, and they were all new additions. Petsmart gets their new stock on Wednesdays, so I made it a point to get there on Wednesday night, after work. I've had them in the tank since 9/19, so almost 2 weeks now.

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it's some type of worm.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Maybe it's some type of worm.
    Could be. How should you treat that? Same way you would for ich? Salt and heat treatment? =/

0 Not allowed!
    I have no idea. I think LadyHobbs has experience with the worms. Maybe get her to look at this thread and see what she thinks.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    No, you don't treat this problem with salt or heat. If the spots are getting more white, then i would do a couple of things. Put her in the QT, and treat her for both external parasites and fungal infections. One treatement, then the other - not both at once. Clout is a good product for getting rid of external parasites, if you can get it. And there's quite a few anti-fungal products on the market.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark