· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird symptoms, can anyone diagnose?

0 Not allowed!
    Les is a diamond tetra who survived an excess of dissolved gases about 4 weeks ago. He was doing great, and then last Monday, the temp in his 10g went from 25.5 to 26.9. He got very active, and re-injured his tail. Wednesday evening he started breathing very quickly, was quite skittish, was hiding a lot and stopped eating. HE started eating again a little bit on Friday. He has only eaten a little bit once a day since. On Saturday, we moved him to our main tank with some new buddies. He is still breathing really rapidly, his lower jaw on both sides seems swollen, his colour is off, eats really little bits once a day. He tends to hide out resting, and seems to be quite fatigued. Today he had a very skinny thread like poop. He also started to clamp his fins today.

He is not getting worse or better. I tend to think that when he was originally injured with air emboli, it weakened certain areas in him. When he got really active, he reinjured one area, and either threw a clot or something. I *feel* that his state is due to some internal injury, but I just want to make sure that there isn't a disease I am missing. I don't see signs of ich, velvet, external parasites, external infections, or anything red or oozing. Just his lower jaw is swollen, has lack of appetite, is breathing really fast and is lethargic.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. please.
    Why, yes, I do have a podcast that has absolutely nothing to do with fish: Rural Adventures In Creativity And Sanity
    I started an aquarium journal! It is here on AC!

Default Video

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a video of Les. I know it is crappy, but at least you can see how fast he is breathing.

Why, yes, I do have a podcast that has absolutely nothing to do with fish: Rural Adventures In Creativity And Sanity

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I've learned, stringy poop can be a sign of a bacterial infection. My swordtail had string white poo and he died shortly after bc I didn't have access to medication at the time. :( I hope Les feels better and makes a full recovery!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry about your swordtail, Omega3s. It's so hard when you know what the problem is, and still can't treat it.

I talked today to someone who has experience in fish illness. I had been starting to think velvet, but she didn't think so. She thinks it is bubble gas disease (what I call air emboli) has injured him, and that he is also stressed. Because he hasn't been eating very much (reason for thread like poop?), she encouraged me to try frozen bloodworms to get him eating. I think if will just eat, he can start to get better. Can't heal with no nutrition.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it is stringy white or clear poop that seems to trail behind your fish, its a tell tale sign that you have internal parasites. A medication like prazi-pro should help clear things up.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks homemadepopcorn. I was planning on de-worming the whole tank when we finally had all our fish acclimatized, but I'll move that up.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome. A good cleaning will help remove any diseased materials from the tank and limit the spread of the infection. Parasites like these are pretty treatable as long as water quality is top notch and it's treated right away.

0 Not allowed!
    We've been keeping very clean tanks. Amm<0.25, trites = 0, and trates between 5 and 20 before water changes, in all our tanks; large PWC>%50 weekly with matured and chemically filtered water (if you remember, I'm the one with the weird contaminant that always makes amm<0.25 no matter what I do)

We unfortunately cannot get Prazipro here that I can find, so I am going to go with Tetra Parasite Guard and treat the whole 77g.

A quick question: after treatment, do I need to put carbon in my filter to remove the meds? I don't normally have carbon in, and will do a water change after treatment.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    have you tried online to purchase any meds?

I just picked up some prazi-pro from amazon and will be doing the same to my tank once it comes in. Never "de wormed" the fish so it'll be good for them.

0 Not allowed!
    I am up in Northern Canada. I have tried looking for a Canadian distributor but they all ship from the States. Getting stuff over the border can take a while (3 weeks is not uncommon), and I want to get him treated sooner rather than later. I'll try what I can find here first, and if need be order PraziPro. The main ingredient in the Tetra product is praziquantel, so I am hoping it will work. It has another med, diflubenzuron, which also kills parasites, as well as an antibiotic and an antiseptic which helps with any secondary infections.