· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Angelfish is becoming evil.. What to do?

0 Not allowed!
    In one of my 55s, I have had a single angelfish with Head-Tail Light tetras, red phantom tetras, cory cats and khuli loaches for about 5 months. He is now basically full size and I think I am starting to see that dreaded adult angelfish aggression. For basically the entire time I have had him, he has only been slightly aggressive during feeding which I guess for an angelfish is a plus. At all other times, he may slightly chase some fish away but nothing too alarming at all. However, 2 weeks ago, I woke up to a dead tail-light and about a week after another one. A few days after another one. Keep in mind these fish were perfectly healthy the day before their deaths and the water quality is fine ( 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 nitrate). I highly doubt its a disease due to the fact only the tail-lights are dieing and are perfectly healthy the day before they die. I know only large bodied tetras should be with Angels but phantoms and taillights are basically the same adult size and they are definitely bigger than neons..very frustrating as I am now down to 9. I really dont want to rehome the angel because its such a beautiful fish and has been relatively peaceful until now. Should I try a larger species of tetra? If so, what kind?

Here he is:
    angelpic.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert but have kept a fair few angels in my life. They are quite a comical fish, and very smart too.

My most recent experience with them is this;

We had a breeding pair in a 4ft standalone tank, no tetras just a couple of plecos and a few mixed corydoras. So they were quite happy. We had them both for 2 years until the female (called Angel - lol) very suddenly passed away. Damien (named after the movie the Omen - lol) became miserable. So after a few months I caved in and bough another, desperately hoping it was female.

Turns out it was a male and all they did was fight like cat and dog 24 hours a day, he was very very aggressive. So I put the new fish (Satan) in my 200gal loach/tetra tank seeing as was a wee bit smaller and less likely to eat the others. Evidently after the first few nervous weeks he never ate or bothered a single fish, he was quite the lovely angel to be frank.

He once kept watch over my sick pleco so the others wouldn't eat him. And he was even accepted into the pack as an honorary clown loach ;0)

I like to put it down to the fact that when I introduced him to the tank, I had several very dominant large male Congo Tetra who are absolute top strata. I really think they helped put him back in his place.

I lost him a couple of weeks back during my total bacteria breakdown, I still don't forgive myself

Anyway motto of the story is if you can, invest in a few (at least 4 - min group size) Congo Tetra.

They are flashy very outgoing types of fish. Always front of tank showing off. And they tend to leave other fish alone.
    Last edited by birddancer; 10-02-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    200Gal Tank. Loaches=Clowns, Kuhlis and Yoyos. Tetras=Lemons, Pristellas, Black Phantoms, Neons, Cardinals and Cogos. Bronze Corys and 1 self bred Peppermint/Common BN Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about your fish deaths
    I don't have any advice as I'm a new Angelfish owner myself. Just noticed that my Angelfish looks exactly like yours only mine is smaller and not fully grown yet. Hoping that it doesn't grow up to be a Tank Terror and kill off my smaller bodied Tetras.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread to see what advice you receive. I'm sure someone will be along to help you out.

Good Luck with your remaining fish and your Angelfish as well.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

0 Not allowed!
    My angel is with numerous tetra's and they are fine. I don't keep them with neons or cardinals, obviously.

Have you just found dead fish in the tank or have you seen the angel showing aggression to them?

I moved this to the angelfish section.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I mean he has always shown minor aggression to all of the fish in the tank. It gets semi aggressive during feeding but I never thought it was life threatening to the other fish. Everytime he kills a fish. it happens at night

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know. Altho night time is hunting time for some, I can't see angels doing that. Mine don't move all night long. They get their sleeping spot and that's it for the night. But I was talking to a gal at the fish store my last visit there and she said she has one angel in a tank and he has killed every fish she's put in the tank with him. He's like 8 years old and has always had to live alone. Grumpy thing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats what I thought to..everytime I go to sleep it swims to the side of the tank next to my bed and just stares at me lol...kinda creepy