· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Recommend me an underwater camera

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going on holiday in January and will be snorkelling every day on a reef. I'd love to get an underwater digital camera to make the most of what I see.

I don't have much money to spend on it (all that's going on the holiday!) but anything up to $100-150 or 50-100 (I'm in the UK). Can anyone recommend any specific models? Do you have sample photos you have taken with an underwater camera?

I've used disposables before, and whilst ok, were not great quality (very, very grainy and mostly out of focus). I'd like something digital now that they are affordable.

0 Not allowed!
    The pentax wg-1 and 2 are excellent cameras for the price. they are extremely rugged and can stand up to a lot of abuse.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that. Do you have one? I've read good reviews on these.

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have one but hopefully I will soon. It will allow me to go hiking without having to worry about my dslr. I can however, vouch for pentax's quality.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I have a DSLR. I'd love an underwater housing for it but they seem to cost a lot more than the camera itself!

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on what camera you currently have, you may be able to buy a waterproof case for your existing camera within that budget.

That is what we did for our snorkeling vacation, and we got some pretty great photos that way.

0 Not allowed!
    dslr underwater housings are super expensive. You'll be lucky to get a reliable one for less than a couple grand. Much easier and cheaper to get a camera designed for that purpose.
    <-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a good review

<-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    dslr underwater housings are super expensive. You'll be lucky to get a reliable one for less than a couple grand. Much easier and cheaper to get a camera designed for that purpose.
    I agree. I wouldn't trust a cheap housing (or one of those bags) with my precious DSLR. It took me a year to save up for it!

I'm definitely going to go for a purpose compact.