· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: discus question

0 Not allowed!
    You never treat with medications unless you know what the fish has. The only thing my fish ever get is a PraziPro to make sure they have no worms and it's very mild for them and only takes one treatment.......like once a year.

I would do a water change to get the medication back out of there, lower the temps of 82-84 and maybe not do so many water changes. Baby Discus need water changes a lot but not so much as they get a bit older. Sounds that he/she is guarding that spot. Not sure what the jerking is but my angels do that when they are bickering with others. I hope that's all it is.

I also never kept Discus personally.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I was away.

Right away - 100% water change (nitrates and phosphates can really harm discus at levels that most fish are fine with; phosphates need to be as close to zero as possible. Nitrates under 5 ppm and lower if possble.)

Then raise the temp to at least 90 F. Add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per gal of water. Treat for one to two weeks. This does not in any way stress discus but wil often cure 90% of what ails them. YOU MUST remove any other fish - they can not tolerate such a treatment. By the way, I got this treatment from a breeder that deals with Hans (don't know if they use.)

I've used it a few times with fantastic results. Some plants can handle this treatment once. Since you have a discus tank, and keep them at 84 - 86 F, you have tough plants and they might handle the treatment. Still, I'll take discus health over plants - your call.

A 55 gal is rather small for four large discus - that will stress them badly. They need room to get away from each other at times. That could be the issue. If you can't get a larger tank, consider some large wood to allow them to hide.

I do not trust using any live worms - you are asking for major issues with these. Use sterilized frozen worms and for live, brine shrimp. Others don't always agree but worms, even the best carry a lot of bacteria and in a closed system like a tank, and fish that can get stressed, I feel, leds to trouble. Your call but I often had issues with live worms and since giving them up, have never had a single sick discus in five years. maybe luck but I don't trust live food (except salt based brine shrimp ... .)
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-11-2012 at 12:16 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone
    I'm a new member here. Need your help to do
    I wanted to know what should be artificially reproduced compounds in foods Discus kids?

Thank you

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    You need to start your own thread for an answer - also, be a bit more clear on what you are asking.